ILoveMinidisc

This year i will upgrade from Net-md MZ-N910 to Hi-Md

and i need to decide between MZ-RH10 Orange or MZ-RH1

MZ-RH10:

IPB Image

MZ-RH1:

IPB Image

So far i believe RH10 is better because:

It look much nicer, big display and nice design + the golden/orange is beautiful

RH1 does not display trackname on the unit, i dont like this

also it look too classic for my taste.

The good thing with RH1 is it plays Mp3 realtime (althrough it need sonicstage)

So the big question is what to get

Also it seem Rh10 is discontinued if so then i probaly get it cheaper another +++ for me :)

thats it if i can find it anywhere (i am in spain, yea and the orange is just for japan)

Now i got some important questions:

1. Is recording in SP-mode with my MZ-N910 net-md very Poor quality compared to recording in fast-mode with it?

most mp3 is 192kbps , do i loose a lot of quality recording in sp-mode (using sonicstage)

ALL recordings i have done so far is Sp-mode, because i have a MD-boombox that only read sp-mode recorded MD

I cannot hear difference in a Mp3 played on computer and a SP-mode recording from a 192kbsp mp3 on a MD

Should i stop recording in SP-mode because (and if) is poor quality?

2. Since i love the Old Sonicstage 2.2, 2.3 (i dont like the Sonicstage 3 serie its too complicated)

Can i use Sonicstage 2.2 or 2.3 for MH-1 or MH10 ?

3. I heard RH10 cannot record in Sp-mode, but sonicstage has Sp-record mode

can i still record in sp-mode using sonicstage and RH10 or will i then loose a lot of quality?

as i said before i already use my net-md MZ-N910 and record sp-mode using sonicstage

4. Where is the best place to buy a orange RH10 if is discontinued where can i get it, except of ebay?

(most be from someone that acept paypal and i prefer pay in us dollar)

5. Is there Any Boomboxes or Hifi (Except of hi-md) that plays MD (not hi-md) that is transfered

in high-speed (non- sp mode) as i said my Sanyo Md-4u boombox only play Sp-mode recorded Md

so any other known boombox or hifi that plays this, or do i need a Hi-md hifi for this

(i dont need to play Hi-md on the hifi/boombox just normal MD but recorded in a mode that is not SP)

All help considering this is realy apreciated ,thanks.

PS! I didnt see until now (after posting this) there was a forum for "Find Your Minidisc"

==============================================

Additional thoughts as of September '06

I am deciding in next purchase if i want a RH10 or RH1

and i am confused.

I do know the RH10 design look more modern with 3 line display

but the new RH1 is told to be much better.

But, does the RH1 not display the trackname on the display unit

it has only 1 line but can you read the name of the song?

recording level on display i dont care about

what i need is the Trackname being displayed on the unit

because:

1. I never write the name of songs on the Blanks MD card

2. I sometimes not use the remote.

If the name is not displayed on the unit

then i have a Big problem.

meaning i have to go around with the remote all the time.

and if remote on RH1 break then i am doomed.

Please tell me there is someway to get the trackname

displayed on the 1 line display of the RH1 unit?

if not, do you suggest me get a RH10 instead?

The choice i have is:

SONY RH-10 SILVER (Price for 300 euro but they can give me more discount lowering the price):

IPB Image

OR...

SONY RH-1 BLACK i can get it with discount here in spain for 300 euro.

IPB Image

What to choice?

trackname is most important

The RH10 also plays mp3 files, although the quality is said to be unimpressive. Any non-black RH10 will be difficult to find unless you have a Japan contact - Audiocubes and other e-tailers don't have the colored Japanese RH10 on their sites anymore.

It sounds like you'll only be doing "recording" using SonicStage. You could always save yourself the money and headache (of tracking down places to buy the RH1/RH10) and just get something like the NH600 or NH700. Both are still widely available (and relatively cheaper) and can download in SonicStage SP. Sure the NH600/700 aren't much to look at (kind of ugly, in my opinion), but they suit your MD/SonicStage purposes just fine and are very rugged units. But, personally, I would pick the RH1 over the RH10.

Good luck, Jon.

If you state of the art, RH1 will be the way to go. Regardless of it not having a full blown colour screen (why people actually need one, I don't know). you'll have abilities to upload legacy and Hi-MD recordings, get the best sounding audio through the HD Digital Amp and know that you have the best MD piece of equipment Sony have made :).

Just to answer your questions clearly....

1. Is recording in SP-mode with my MZ-N910 net-md very Poor quality compared to recording in fast-mode with it?

most mp3 is 192kbps , do i loose a lot of quality recording in sp-mode (using sonicstage)

ALL recordings i have done so far is Sp-mode, because i have a MD-boombox that only read sp-mode recorded MD

I cannot hear difference in a Mp3 played on computer and a SP-mode recording from a 192kbsp mp3 on a MD

Should i stop recording in SP-mode because (and if) is poor quality?

SP mode quality is actually (and been proven to be) is actually LP2 transcoded back to SP on the unit. Quality is reduced compared to 192kbps MP3 or recording directly in SP on the MD unit using a line-in/optical cable. If you need SP compatibility with your MD-Boombox, keep with SP. Otherwise, I would of said, just use LP2 and get twice more music on the disc.

2. Since i love the Old Sonicstage 2.2, 2.3 (i dont like the Sonicstage 3 serie its too complicated)

Can i use Sonicstage 2.2 or 2.3 for MH-1 or MH10 ?

Not sure on this one. Don't know why you want to keep the older versions. I think you should upgrade to the newest version which is 4.0. Quite easy to use and doesn't crash at all now.

3. I heard RH10 cannot record in Sp-mode, but sonicstage has Sp-record mode

can i still record in sp-mode using sonicstage and RH10 or will i then loose a lot of quality?

as i said before i already use my net-md MZ-N910 and record sp-mode using sonicstage

Again, the second generation discs cannot record the legacy SP, LP2 or LP4 directly onto the unit. This is correct. You're still going to get LP2 quality if you transfer using SP mode on Sonicstage as this hasn't been changed and the computer has never been able to encode SP to transfer correctly.

4. Where is the best place to buy a orange RH10 if is discontinued where can i get it, except of ebay?

(most be from someone that acept paypal and i prefer pay in us dollar)

As already said, eBay (like you said) or trying to find a japanese e-tailer or some kind of contact.

5. Is there Any Boomboxes or Hifi (Except of hi-md) that plays MD (not hi-md) that is transfered

in high-speed (non- sp mode) as i said my Sanyo Md-4u boombox only play Sp-mode recorded Md

so any other known boombox or hifi that plays this, or do i need a Hi-md hifi for this

(i dont need to play Hi-md on the hifi/boombox just normal MD but recorded in a mode that is not SP)

You're probably saying you want LP2/LP4 modes. Not sure on that. Have a look on the equipment list on this site. There are loads of deck units that can play LP2/LP4 (the NetMD units) that you just need hook up through an amplifier and you're off :D . Again, eBay has loads of decks flying around on there.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

This is not an easy question. I own both the MZ-RH10 and the MZ-RH1. It depends on what you want to do with your machine. In terms of features, there is no question that the MZ-RH1 is better. It does everything anybody ever wanted a minidisc recorder to do. However in terms of ease of use (especially playback and editing and adding titles), the MZ-RH10 is better.

The right answer depends on exactly how you plan to use the machine.

The MZ-RH10 is easy to use in a dark room because it has a big OLED screen, a simple button layout, and all functions available on the unit itself.

The MZ-RH1 requires that you use both the remote control and the unit itself if you want access to all the features. The buttons on the remote are hard to remember and hard to find in a dark environment. Some of the information (titles) is only available via the remote. Other functions (recording)are available only on the minidisc.

Sony should definitely keep both the MZ-RH10 and the MZ-RH1 available, because the two machines complement each other. But if I had to choose one, I would choose the MZ-RH10. This is because I often record, add titles, edit, and playback in relatively dark environments.

John

Gents,

so what is the top of the line then? im only interested in the to of the line MD flagship model. i have the mz nh-1 (gold) and have had it since they were available on audiocubes, but i like to have the latest. i have nto been on this fourm in ages so im out of the loop. so which one is the top?

MZ-RH1 ?

MZ-M100 ?

MZ-NH910 ?

thanks for the info and apologies for intercepting this thread....

RH1/M200 is the latest: http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-RH1.html

M100/RH10 and RH910/M10 are older. You can find better pictures of units in the "Product Reviews/Pictorials" section of the forum. As for what's top, it depends on what you need out of a unit. People will disagree on which one is the best for what function (playback vs recording), for ease of use (screen, remote, etc), battery pack/type (AA/AA add-on vs NiMH vs Li-ion), and other stuff.

marctronixx: You should look into the RH1/M200 then. They've got the most "bang" compared to the others (features-wise) and they're the newest and latest craze. You'd have a great collection - the first (MZ-1) and the last (RH1/M200, if no others are released, that is) MD unit.

Edit: Take a look at this pictorial, too. :lol:http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=16150

Edited by jaylen

The M200 is basically a rebadged RH1, but it is a "professional" package because the M200 comes with a microphone and different earphones (Japanese stock buds). Try out these links for starters:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...em/SONY-MZ-M200 (one place for pre-orders)

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=16399 (movie of the M200 and Sony's site)

I recommend the RH10, I absolutely love mine. The large display and jog dial alone makes it an all around better experience than the RH1, especially as far as ease of navigation goes. No one wants to hit the next button over and over to find the song they want, I'm still confused as to why sony eliminated the jog dial on it's latest md unit.

Go with the RH10 unless you need to upload legacy tracks, if you don't, the RH10 is a much better choice for the jog dial, large display, and especially the AA addon pack. RH10 is a much better player than the RH1, hands down.

if recording is your main purpose, get the RH1

if playback is your main purpose, get the RH10 (beter screen + navigation) or the RH1 or even the NH900/NH1 if you do not care about MP3 payback ('better' or more precisely, clearer/more realistic/less colored sound compared to the RH10) if you want a HiMD or think about HiMD again as it is not necessarily the best player out there for everyone (if you do not need recording functions)

and do not pay too much attention to RobA fervently dissing the RH1, he's 1) too obsessed by the scrollwheel (and doesn't know...eh realize...eh aknowledge that there are a lot of other ways to navigate the RH1 than pressing FF a thousand times :lol: ) and 2) he might just be very jealous as he hasn't got one :P

just have a read of all the reviews here on MDCF and you'll learn a lot

PS: just kidding RobA, but if you insist to keep dissing the RH1 based on incomplete arguments, you should be able to see the humor of this as well

all, thanks for the heads up. as stated earlier on this fourm, i am no newbie to MD.. being on board since 1992. i still use my MZ-1s as daily drivers due to their heft and heavy duty construction. i use the gold nh1 just for kicks, airplane rides, etc. i DO like to keep up with the latest MD player and will go for the RH1 since its the top of the line other then the m2 which i dont need an additional mic or headphones.

as for diaplay, i have the 35ELK or 40 ELK.. whatever the model number is.. its the bigger remote display other then the 'tootsie roll' looking display, so im good on that end...

• 2 months later...

I do know the RH10 design look more modern with 3 line display

2. I sometimes not use the remote.

If the name is not displayed on the unit

then i have a Big problem.

meaning i have to go around with the remote all the time.

trackname is most important

These sentences all point to: RH10.

It does indeed sound like the RH10 is more for you than the RH1. However, you might want to check out this thread:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=16703

which lists specific problems several users have had with the RH10 (myself included).

I really suggest you read that for your information....also, keep in mind that the RH910 (if you can find it) is exactly like the RH10 except for the display. I have one, and can confidently say that the unit is sturdier than my RH10 was.

Happy MDing!

peace

WaywardTraveller

Edited by WaywardTraveller