Sony Insider Forums

SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" Release 2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the "Ultimate" 4.3 version seems to have gained quite a popularity, and appears to be less glitchy than any previous one, I decided to build a second release. This is purely a cosmetic update.

Since the "Ultimate" 4.3 version seems to have gained quite a popularity, and appears to be less glitchy than any previous one, I decided to build a second release. This is purely a cosmetic update.

What's changed from the first release:

1. Updated Registry Information Setup is used now. This doesn't affect minidisc functionality in any way, but may add support for some newer ATRAC phones (you still need to provide the respective drivers).

2. The link to Minidisc Community Forums in the Help menu is replaced with a link to Sony Insider Forums.

3. Installation package extraction path is no longer saved to registry.

4. Windows Installer 2.0 distribution package is not included.

The complete list of changes from the official VAIO version (including changes introduced in the first release):

1. System prerequisites from Microsoft (Windows Installer 2.0, DirectX 9.0c, Windows Media Format 9, Windows Media Format 9.5, Data Access Components 2.5) are not included.

2. OpenMG Secure Module version 5.0 with the respective Registry Information is used instead of the original patched version 4.7.

3. Sony CONNECT Store support is no longer installed.

4. SonicStage Security Update is installed automatically.

5. Latest Personal Audio Drivers for SONY devices are installed automatically.

6. The VAIO support link in the Help menu is replaced with a link to Sony Insider Forums.

NOTE: If you have applied the experimental SonicStage patch 4.3.02 for Vista/Windows 7, you'll need to re-apply it after installation.

Download links:

SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" Release 2 for Windows 2000/XP/Vista (32-bit only)

Mini-mode skins

Recommended PxEngine update

Hi,

Haven't been here in months, so I just have a couple of questions:

1. Will this software play my licensed Sony ATRAC music that I downloaded from Connect a long time ago?

2. the other software mentioned that is necessary, such as windows installer 2, etc., do most uptodate computers have this? My xp computer is uptodate with Direct X, etc., but this other software sort of bothers me if I have to download it and see if it conflicts with my computer.

1. I've described the situation with purchased music in Post #6 on the previous page.

2. All prerequisites are probably already installed on a modern operating system.

Edited by Avrin
  • 2 months later...

NOTE: If you have applied the experimental SonicStage patch 4.3.02 for Vista/Windows 7, you'll need to re-apply it after installation.

Where do I get the experimental patch for Windows 7 mentioned here?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Arvin,

I have SS 4.3 on my PC with Windows XP. I have never had any problems with it however, I get the impression that I should be using your Ultimate 4.3 anyway. My question is: Should I uninstall my current version of SS before installing Ultimate 4.3? I seem to remember installing a package of about three things from the Sony software site. I just want to make sure I proceed correctly.

thanks in advance for any advice,

-James

Avrin doesn't seem to have been around so I will (pace Avrin!) field this one. Installing over the top works just fine.

The only thing you MIGHT want to do is the famous "remove all unused USB drivers" step that started this off. I find that even with Ultimate, I still get slowdown on RH1 MD uploads when a non-RH1 has been used with NetMD disk, connected to the PC.

Avrin doesn't seem to have been around so I will (pace Avrin!) field this one. Installing over the top works just fine.

The only thing you MIGHT want to do is the famous "remove all unused USB drivers" step that started this off. I find that even with Ultimate, I still get slowdown on RH1 MD uploads when a non-RH1 has been used with NetMD disk, connected to the PC.

SFBP,

Thank you. But, I don't see the step about removing unused USB drivers. I seem to remember quite a while ago an issue raised about slow uploads regarding the NH1 because of drivers installed from connecting a Net MD. I performed that purge and have not connected any Net MD units to my computer...only Hi MD units. (can't seem to find that topic now either)

So, assuming I don't have any unused USB drivers, do I just use the one 'download link' - "Sonic Stage 4.3 Ultimate..."? I'm a bit confused by the multiple links including the "System prerequisites from Microsoft" links. If I'm going to fix something that doesn't appear broken, I want to make sue I at least perform the proper steps

Thanks again for any direction / instruction.

James

Speaking for myself, I asked the same question of Avrin. We decided just to go ahead and install over top. Certainly I installed it over top of existing "official" 4.3. His steps had more to do with partial installations, I think.

If you don't have the trick that turns on the hidden device drivers, you won't see them.

If you don't have slowdown with RH1 uploads of non-HiMD, you don't care.

The post is

But getting rid of USB drivers you don't need is of itself a GOOD thing.

Speaking for myself, I asked the same question of Avrin. We decided just to go ahead and install over top. Certainly I installed it over top of existing "official" 4.3. His steps had more to do with partial installations, I think.

If you don't have the trick that turns on the hidden device drivers, you won't see them.

If you don't have slowdown with RH1 uploads of non-HiMD, you don't care.

The post is here.

But getting rid of USB drivers you don't need is of itself a GOOD thing.

stbp,

OK, once again many thanks. I did go back into the Device Manager and good thing too. There were a ton of unused drivers in there. Where could all those Net MD drivers have come from? Does the NH900 have the older Net driver? A shame if I have to stop using that, it's very convenient and I'd rather wear it out up-loading and down-loading that my RH1 or NH1.

Anyway, the install of SS Ultimate went just fine and 35 minutes of SP up-loaded fromy my RH1 in 3 minutes, 44 seconds. Everything seems exactly the same as the official SS except the CONNECT logo is gone and Product Support in the Help dropdown points to this forum.

I'll make a habit of checking for dead drivers every so often as well.

Best,

James

Great. Every time you connected up another different USB-connected MD, you added some more entries. It seems likely that the reason the RH1 has a problem is that in order to upload (download is easy), a poll must be made (round robin) of all the NetMD drivers (I dont know if you have ever tried it but you can connect more than one NetMD device, and SS will handle it just fine - the problem comes when you try to put two on the same USB port via a hub but that's another story again, which Sony warns you about). My thinking is that having too many of these in the device map causes the driver to MISS (ie streaming does not occur). Hence the slowdown. It's a bit like the old floppy disk format problem which you can read about here.

Don't worry about removing them (ie it's not a BAD thing for them to be absent). They will reinstall as needed. BUT you cannot upload non-HiMD (LP2, LP4, mono, stereo SP) unless you use the RH1, of course.

Downloads are fine (although I believe the RH1 is the only one that does USB 2.0, someone will surely correct me on this point). Remember that only Simple Burner, Sound Forge and now the #linux-minidisc program QHiMDTransfer will produce "unprotected" tracks at the other end. Sonic Stage will not - SS-downloaded MD tracks are always "protected". There will, we hope, be a simple way to rid ourselves of that protection but for now the safest way would be to burn CD's with your precious stuff and transfer using SB to a NetMD. Circuitous but reliable. No such restriction is applied to HiMD, though still-encrypted files on a HiMD (either 80m or 1GB) can never be up-transferred anywhere else (if you decrypt them first, that restriction goes away too).

Well, thanks so much again for the reassuring guidance.

Now if I can only find some documentation or specific user instrructions for HiMDRenderer which I've got on my computer but, can't really figure out how to use. The Discussion and Support link appears disabled.

And where can I read abiut QHiMDT, it sounds familiar but, I can't seem to find it? Sound Forge is where I originally got Audacity, what do they have for minidisc?

-JA

Now if I can only find some documentation or specific user instrructions for HiMDRenderer which I've got on my computer but, can't really figure out how to use. The Discussion and Support link appears disabled.

What do you need HiMDRenderer for, exactly? I have it and it works but there's not a single thing I've actually been FORCED to use it for.

And where can I read abiut QHiMDT, it sounds familiar but, I can't seem to find it? Sound Forge is where I originally got Audacity, what do they have for minidisc?

The #linux-minidisc project is based out of Frei Universitat Berlin. You can look here. Also look for posts by cbmuser on this forum.

I probably don't need HiMDRenderer. I was under the impression that it was a more sophisticated uploading program than SS and possibly avoided some of the DMR nonsense. But I don't really know too much about it.

The other seems quite complicated. I'll read the posts you suggested to get a better understanding.

Partly, I'm trying to gather information to help a friend using Mac who makes extensive use of an older Hi-MD machine in his home computer based studio for music production and mixing jobs. He has to up load finished jobs in real time and I was looking to see if anything mew has come along in that regard. I don't use Mac so I've not paid much attention to those issues.

-J

• 1 month later...

There is something wrong with the mechanism on the site that detects new posts. This showed up as a new post for me today, 9/18/2010 at around 6PM. This is not the first time either. Old threads will show as new when selecting "View New Listings" Just a note ...

• 1 month later...

Me Too.

This has just showed up as a new post for me today 20101110.

Looks like I should be using this new version SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" Release 2.

My question is Does it work with Win 7 - that is Win 7x64.

Thanks,

Oh and another thing.

What is:

NOTE: If you have applied the experimental SonicStage patch 4.3.02 for Windows 7, you'll need to re-apply it after installation

...and if I need it where do I get it please.

• 7 months later...

As far as I'm aware, the Starter edition lacks certain features, but shouldn't affect your ability to run programs which work under other versions of W7.

Here's a list of what it won't do:

* Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the Windows Basic or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.

* Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.

* The ability to switch between users without having to log off.

* 64 bit version

* Multi-monitor support.

* DVD playback.

* Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.

* Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.

* Domain support for business customers.

* XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

The last one means you won't be able to run Simple Burner. Having said that, I have W7 Pro 64 bit, and I can't get it to run at the moment!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'm new to all this. Can you tell me if I can download SS 4.3 version 2 and run it on windows 7 64-bit, just like that, with nothing else?

Thanks,

Peter

I have no idea what you refer to, but ALL versions of Windows 7 can be made to work with SonicStage.

Please don't ever use the word "just" over something technical like this.

To make 64-bits work with "legacy" media (NetMD) you will need the NetMD support driver which is called NETMD760.SYS. This will need to be downloaded and installed separately (before or after) from the SS Ultimate ("Ultimate" is just an adjective and has NOTHING to do with the version of Windows you happened to acquire). If you do it before, the manner of installation may differ from when you do it after, since in the latter case, something has already "gone a bit wrong".

Fear not, it is in the downloads section here, and we shall assist you on your quest.

Some answers depend on exactly which unit you plan to hook to the USB.