MZ-R909 Power issues

Rate this topic

i recently bought an mz-909 minidisc recorder off of ebay. it was listed as untested so i bought it cuz they usually work but this oke isnt powering on. ive put a charged battery in it and ive plugged it in. theres no acid in the battery slot and the plug seems clean. i was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

• Richard changed the title to MZ-R909 Power issues

Was about to ask whether it was an MZ-E909 or MZ-R909 but just noticed you said "recorder" and @Richard has changed the title to reflect that it's an R909?

Are you using an AA battery in the external battery case or a gumstick battery in the unit itself. If the latter, have you tried the former (or vice versa)?

Are you connecting the DC PSU directly to the unit itself or via a charging cradle?

If it is an E909, do you know if the charging cradle is functional as you can't connect a DC PSU directly to the unit?

I'd be inclined to get one of the "sidecar" battery cases, and put a real Alkali (non-rechargeable) battery in that, before you panic. The lugs (that contact the positive battery terminal) on the locking tag/door for the "prism"/gumstick battery is one of the weak points on most of these devices. The other end (there's a sharp point that is supposed to connected to the negative end of the NiMH battery by pressure) is the second. Frequently scratching the bottom of the (NiMH) battery with a sharp knife will wake it up.

23 hours ago, BearBoy said:

Was about to ask whether it was an MZ-E909 or MZ-R909 but just noticed you said "recorder" and @Richard has changed the title to reflect that it's an R909?

I renamed it purely on a hunch, but also becuase I'm a bit OCD about spelling and capitalisation of topic titles 😆