Lowdown on the NW-A800 series

Rate this question

Bueller

Question

Ok guys feel free to fire away questions as i Now have the official info on the player, including accesory range :)

Overview:

High quality Music and mobile video player, with Sony EX headphones.

Large bright 2" LCD

30hrs music, 8hrs video battery life

Easy to use

Lots of accessories!

44mm Wide x 88m Tall

and 9.1 mm THICK (so will fit in a large matchbox! JUST)

4 Clear Audio technologies - ex headphones, Clear Stereo (L + R), Clear Bass, DSEE (digital sound enhancer engine).

and most important, the playable music files (which some magazines have got incorrect from what I've seen)

MP3, AAC (non DRM only), WMA (non DRM only), ATRAC.

320 x 240 screen resolution

AVC Baseline and MP4 video playback etc.

Hope this is fo help to all of you out there considering the player. I WANT ONE!!! lol

No recording option as S700? very sad...

No FM tuner?

No noise canceling...(that's for sure)

Why Sony's going backwards with their best ideas??

You can rest assured that the lack of those aforementioned features is not a sign that Sony is going backwards. It’s simply a case of product differentiation – different series, thus different features. The A series is Sony’s high end Walkman featuring the highest sound and picture/video quality, whereas the S series is an exclusive specialized Walkman with value added features (e.g. unique design, NC feature). The E series being an entry-level line delivers Walkman experience at an affordable price.

No FM tuner?

No noise canceling...(that's for sure)

Why Sony's going backwards with their best ideas??

Actually, the new E-series does have FM tuner.

You can rest assured that the lack of those aforementioned features is not a sign that Sony is going backwards. It’s simply a case of product differentiation – different series, thus different features. The A series is Sony’s high end Walkman featuring the highest sound and picture/video quality, whereas the S series is an exclusive specialized Walkman with value added features (e.g. unique design, NC feature). The E series being an entry-level line delivers Walkman experience at an affordable price.

I know someone asked this previously but I can't seem to find the answer. If you don't mind, what do A, S and E stand for?

Thanks

Guest Stuge

I'm not sad at all because the cable required for recording using NW-S7xx series is still not available here (No accessories of NW-S7xx are available here ) :sad: .So that feature is useless for me At least .

I got hands-on with non-working model put up in yodobashi shinjuku(popular gadget shop in japan).

player feels awesome, simply drop-dead gorgeous....!! form factor and material used are very good............

I am afraid I may be tempted to buy one.......

Edited by theFanboy

As saud before, Sony is not going backwards at all, it is part of a different range and also adding noise cancelling would just bump up the price and thus put it out of line with its competition!

The player does still however have the other audio technologies to produce superb sound. and it should have Fm radio, along with the new E series!

As saud before, Sony is not going backwards at all, it is part of a different range and also adding noise cancelling would just bump up the price and thus put it out of line with its competition!

The noise cancellation is only feature that this is really missing. Would I pay more for this? Yes. What I really like about noise cancellation, is that you can enjoy you music all lower volumes. The sound quality will be good though with the headphones supplied with the NW-A800 series.

I am afraid I may be tempted to buy one......

Temptation is a good thing :D

Edited by Shinji Ikeda

I have got to disagree, this is an example of Sony going backwards. It's also a statement that Sony has not learned a single thing in all of these years.

Apple keeps the iPod's product line simple:

- iPod

- iPod Nano

- iPod Shuffle

No numbers, no confusing names, it's simple and easy to remember. Sony tacks on a random letter followed by numbers which confuses customers, and hurts in terms of marketing because word of mouth fails. If someone is talking about the Walkman, who knows which Walkman it is? Customers aren't going to remember "Walkman A808." Start a new brand, call it the wVaio or something, if Sony wants to hold on to their precious Walkman name. Use the Vaio Pocket, as that made the most sense for a new brand.

Second of all, there is no excuse why the new A800 series does not have noise cancelling, an FM tuner, bluetooth or wireless functionality, etc.

Sony is not Apple. The Walkman range is the bottom of the barrel in terms of the MP3 world. This product should have had more than just video. Sony should be looking ahead of what the other players are doing, incorporating everything they can at a reasonable price, if they want to make a dent on Apple's reign. If "A" stands for "Advanced," doesn't that imply that it should be the most advanced in the product line? Yet it lacks the most basic functionality that we have come to expect from MP3 players. I'm sorry, but with all this time, Sony hasn't learned anything. My iPod is dying. I really wanted a 30GB replacement from Sony. One that surpasses both the iPod and Zune in functionality, one that looks excellent, and is bundled with equally excellent software. But I doubt it's coming. The A800 is very nice. If I was in the market for a flash-based MP3 player, I would definitely give it a good look. But again, like with all of Sony's attempts, it is still lacking features.

1) Launch a new brand of players.

2) New software that is at least above average. Get away of the SonicStage hatred, etc.

3) Market your products. Simple Names. Lots of Features.

Until then, Sony is just not going to be competition for Apple.

Edited by EZero

1) Launch a new brand of players.

2) New software that is at least above average. Get away of the SonicStage hatred, etc.

3) Market your products. Simple Names. Lots of Features.

Until then, Sony is just not going to be competition for Apple.

Many valid points, but ...

Sony is a significantly different company that Apple, Sony Electronics sells more categories of products than Apple actually sells products. Sony Electronics needs to keep a well balance portolio that does not focuos one narrow segment of a market.

There are valuable brand names, and Sony need to re-enforce the value of the Walkman brand. It has been suggested that this be done through marketing and advertising.

Has Sony over used the Walkman brand and create a new brand name for their DAPs? There is actually no clear consensus on that. Most people would correctly argue yes. It can be said that W brand is very distinctive and easily recongized.

Sony's problem part responsible from their original approach to the emerging media player market. Sony attempted to push on consumers DRM, but justifying that it was good for consumers. This has had a negative influence on the image of Sony products, and Sonicstage.

With the current A800 series of the Network Walkman, misinformation and a negative perception toward Sony products is another problem. The NW-A800 has been considered over priced compared to the 30GB iPod, even though the 8GB iPod-nano is in the same price range in Canada, America and Japan. Additionally, the iPod-nano is the direct competitor to the NW-A800. NW-A808 is easier to remember than MA107LL/A, especially when ensuring that it is the correct product.

:)Sony may be coming out with a hard drive player soon.

Remember there will never be an iPod-killer.

Thanx Ishi for the imput! That's a nice way to explain. Still I find a bit frustrating that such nices devices don't share the same added features! I read though in Generation Mp3 when they were at the Sony Walkman French press conference that A808 was just the first of a long series coming out this year, and that Sonicstage was living its last realeases. So maybe new announces will make us all happier.

Then I have to say, I became a crazy collector with all the brand new walkmans... I'll buy the A808 nexr week when it comes out in Tokyo. I touched the demo ones too and it feels very very cool.

Thanx again Ishiyoshi. :D

I read though in Generation Mp3 when they were at the Sony Walkman French press conference that A808 was just the first of a long series coming out this year, and that Sonicstage was living its last realeases. So maybe new announces will make us all happier.

You can definitely count on ATRACLife for more exclusive announcements regarding your favorite Walkman for 2007. Stay tuned. :)

Thanx Ishi for the imput! That's a nice way to explain. Still I find a bit frustrating that such nices devices don't share the same added features! I read though in Generation Mp3 when they were at the Sony Walkman French press conference that A808 was just the first of a long series coming out this year, and that Sonicstage was living its last realeases. So maybe new announces will make us all happier.

Then I have to say, I became a crazy collector with all the brand new walkmans... I'll buy the A808 nexr week when it comes out in Tokyo. I touched the demo ones too and it feels very very cool.

Thanx again Ishiyoshi. :D

I'd like to mirror this thanks, very well said.

:)

Two questions I have in relation to this player which I don't think have been answered yet:

1. What type of EQ does it have & does it have custom settings - I assume it will be the same as the 700 series??

2. Can you change how the album art is displayed? i.e. can you set it so that the album art fills up the whole screen - the pictures I have seen so far just show small album art and other info.

Two questions I have in relation to this player which I don't think have been answered yet:

1. What type of EQ does it have & does it have custom settings - I assume it will be the same as the 700 series??

2. Can you change how the album art is displayed? i.e. can you set it so that the album art fills up the whole screen - the pictures I have seen so far just show small album art and other info.

1. Yes. The NW-A800 series has an Equalizer (None:off, Heavy, Pop,Jazz,Uniques,2 Custom). The arrangement is different. Where the NW-S700/600 series has two groups with each having one custom setting, the NW-A800 has one group with two custom setting.

2. No. However, during playback a larger album art can displayed. The screen still displays the song title and progress time, but most of the screen is covered with the album art in the centre.

I just ordered an NW-A808 B from Japan :) I hope it arrives soon!

It's going to replace my old Sony NW-HD5 which is having LCD screen problems. Luckily, I never used much space on my HD5, so going down to 8gb from 20gb won't be a problem for me - so long as the sound quality's as good as the reviews say it is!

I have a question - the ATRAC Advanced Lossless tracks I make from my CDs using SonicStage - can the NW-A808 play these natively or does SonicStage transfer a lossy version for playback (like it did with the NW-HD5?)

I just ordered an NW-A808 B from Japan :) I hope it arrives soon!

It's going to replace my old Sony NW-HD5 which is having LCD screen problems. Luckily, I never used much space on my HD5, so going down to 8gb from 20gb won't be a problem for me - so long as the sound quality's as good as the reviews say it is!

I have a question - the ATRAC Advanced Lossless tracks I make from my CDs using SonicStage - can the NW-A808 play these natively or does SonicStage transfer a lossy version for playback (like it did with the NW-HD5?)

You will be playing ATRAC Advanced Lossless, not lossy version; just like NW-S700 series plays ATRAC Advanced Lossless not lossy :)

SonicStage will only convert the audio codec if specified in the "Transfer mode setting", so verify the settings before transferring songs. The NW-A800 will play all supported formats natively, and WMA/AAC files with DRM can not be played.

Excellent :D ! Thanks for the answer!

So, these can all be played natively:

ATRAC3

ATRAC3Plus

ATRAC Advanced Lossless

MP3

And these need to be transcoded by SonicStage:

AAC

WMA

WAV / AIFF / Linear PCM

Or, can it even play AAC and WMA natively (so long as the files are without DRM)?

Edited by lyris

Does the A800 series have the Audio-in recording function for recording directly from CD/MD etc like the 700 series has? I thought that it didn't (can't remember why) but at sonystyle uk at the following link it looks like it does:

http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle...rue&drc=def

Anyone know for sure?

Sorry I don't think my link is working or more likely I don't know what I am doing! But if you go to sonystyle.co.uk and chose on the left mp3players then accessories then the "Accessory Starter Kit for NW-A800 Series" the description has the part about direct encoding

Edited by bob123

Does the A800 series have the Audio-in recording function for recording directly from CD/MD etc like the 700 series has?

Anyone know for sure?

No. The NW-A800 series does not support audio-in recording. SonicStage however does allow you to have multiple devices to be connected at one time.

I'm surprised the A800 seems to be lacking both the standout features of the S706: noise cancellation & line-in recording. For me, the noise-cancelling really sets the S706 apart. It's rare in the DAP market that something so useful is added to a player normally new features are just gimmicks, like wifi or video playback.

I'm surprised the A800 seems to be lacking both the standout features of the S706: noise cancellation & line-in recording. For me, the noise-cancelling really sets the S706 apart. It's rare in the DAP market that something so useful is added to a player normally new features are just gimmicks, like wifi or video playback.

I would have to agree with you on that the lack of noise cancellation on the NW-A800. It would be great if Sony had added this to all their DAPs, including the NW-A800.

The video playback demonstrates effectively the quality of the NW-A800 series screen. 256K colour is more than any other DAP that I know of, and you do notice the difference. The screen of the NW-A800 is best when displaying 4:3 video's, and 16:9 can sometimes seem too small.

Sony designed the NW-A800 as an audio play. Navigating it is quite integrated, and this is what sets the NW-A800 apart from other DAPs. The large bright screen and the quality headphones are a few of many reason to justify the high.

Even without noise cancellation, this is still Sony's best audio player.

Shinji, do you use the Equaliser function on your NW-A808? If so, have you heard the slight scratching it sometimes produces in quiet parts of the sound?

I uploaded a 1.2mb WAV file of it here, I'm not sure if you'll be able to hear what I'm talking about or not: http://lyrisfiles.landofwhimsy.com/nwa808_odd.wav

Absolutely delighted with the quality of the sound even with that slight problem though :D

Shinji, do you use the Equaliser function on your NW-A808? If so, have you heard the slight scratching it sometimes produces in quiet parts of the sound?

I uploaded a 1.2mb WAV file of it here, I'm not sure if you'll be able to hear what I'm talking about or not: http://lyrisfiles.landofwhimsy.com/nwa808_odd.wav

Absolutely delighted with the quality of the sound even with that slight problem though :D

Lyris,

Thank you for the review.

My NW-A808 is used to listen to both music and dialogue. I only use the equalizer with the music tracks. However, I tested some of the dialogue tracks with the equalizer and hear nothing unusual. I also tested some music track and got the same result (not all the equalizer settings were tested). Listening to the track that your provided, I did hear something coming from the rear. I strongly believe that it is reverberation (from the drums).

Yes, I would have to agree the sound quality. This is one of the main reasons for purchasing NW-A800 over the iPod-nano.