Sony provides Hi-MD Wav Conversion Tool

smilodon500

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice how it automatically divides tracks at the 650MB mark. Lame if you ask me. Anyone know why that mark was picked for splitting the tracks? Worked fine but it did take a lot of processor power. Also, I'm not too excited about the meter reading "Recording" during the conversion. Is it really re-recording the tracks?

Notice how it automatically divides tracks at the 650MB mark.  Lame if you ask me.  Anyone know why that mark was picked for splitting the tracks?  Worked fine but it did take a lot of processor power.  Also, I'm not too excited about the meter reading "Recording" during the conversion.  Is it really re-recording the tracks?

I'll give this a try tonight with some uploaded material and see how it goes on my AthlonXP/2500+. As for the filesize, my guess is it's a pre-defined limit for easy CD recording w/o confusing the consumer. I'm not home yet to try it, but it should be a user-definable limit on the cutoff, if any is desired at all.

So does the download for a stand-alone program, or does it add onto SS. And if it is an add-on, did they change anything else? Is there anyway to monitor what it's doing during a convertion to figure out ways to smooth HiMDRender's own process? :ninja:

Does this mean my program has become obsolete or not?

I guess if I continue adding mp3,flac,etc support it will  become less obsolete....

Dear MarC:

A few points:

1. As others have said, your program is more flexible since it allows conversion of files recorded to optical in.

2. I wouldn't be surprised if your program accelerated Sony's release. They realized it could be done so why hold their stuff back.

3. I'm hoping you, or others, continue to work on the encryption. If not breaking it, just the ability to get an OMA file off disk without allowing Sony to write (and randomly trash!) some of the files.

Richard

There is a wavdiff program out somewhere.. .wav files are not all identical, having different-length headers for the same audio. It's the same reason that some codecs report errors about "invalid chunks" which are probably metadata [like markers and regions saved from Sound Forge].

Anyway. Try searching for wavdiff. Assuming that beginning/end sample accurady is maintained between each conversion, you should be able to compare them.

For all the outrage that was caused when it was discovered that Hi-MD recordings couldn't be converted to WAV initially, there seems to have been a very muted response to the release of this software.

Well..

1) Between the realtime method [which was suggested by someone here more than 2 weeks before HiMD was released] and marcnet's excellent work, it's already basically redundant.

2) Without having the track-trashing issue addressed.. well, you basically still have to run things realtime if you can't afford to lose your recording. You have to back up first anyway.

So really. This doesn't change things much.

Well I downloaded it and it actually works. But why is the wav file split after 640 mbs? Are the Sony technicians braindead? Have they never heard of Wav files being allowed to be 2 gb? Have they never talked to musicians who actually want to edit files after uploading to then burn it to CD?

Well the MZ NH 900 is actually a good product, but Sony is trying its best to kill it.

I sometimes wonder why I even bothered buying it.

Tom

Sony (finally!) garners their Hi-MD customers' votes: Clay reports that Sony has released their Wav Conversion Tool that converts uploaded Hi-MD recordings into Windows ".wav" format audio files. From there they may be easily converted to MP3 or burned to CD.

http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/walkm...kmanmc/wav.html

Sony thinks that breaking the wave file at 650 mb is doing us a favor! It's the EXACT same reason that we have all this DRM crap in the first place. The have underestimated the intelligence of the people who buy their products. "Better break the files at 650 or we're gonna get a flood of tech support emails asking why they can't get a 1 gig wave on to a 74 min audio disc." :whatever:

The DRM thing doesn't even consider musicians and archivest. All they can see are pirates and bootleggers so the cripple their own products to keep them from being used for their original purpose. Right now, their ONLY other goal after DRM is beating Apple at the Ipod game. In that the HiMD are useless...

They will take the front to harddrive players for the reason of capacity. HiMD 1 gig disc can't compete with a 60 gig Ipod. "But you can buy more discs and have infinity storage possiblity!" But the average consumer would rather have convience. "All my MP3 are in one place now! I just dumped them all to my Ipod and I take it where ever I go!"

And the average consumer doesn't care about the ability to record direct from an analog source either. We represent a fairly small group of audio enthusiast and professional who want an inexpensive portable medium. If that were not the case then I think items like the IRiver and Archos drives would be more popular, even though they lack the mic preamps that make the MD and HiMD so cool for us.

I think the sad truth is that Sony still sees MD/HiMD as a red-headed stepchild, even more so since they declared war on Apple. And because its not the obvious weapon against them, the fabled "Ipod Killer" you can expect any thing MD to remain on the back burner.

Tried the Wave Converter, and it's not a real fire and forget way, as all outputted tracks are named untitled(1), untitled(2), untitled(3), etc. Why doesn't it keep the track names and sort the outputted waves into folders where the albums were.

Let's hope all tracks aren't being secretly watermarked or soundcoded by the Wave Converter with illicit codes that allow the waves to be traced to Wave Converter or Sonicstage and the copies are exact as it was when it was tied up in Sonicstage.

When I first saw the Sony site my first reaction was to stomp around the room and curse. But then I thought it seemed like the same sort of restrictions they placed on the optical out of my minidisc home deck which allows me to transfer files just fine. In that case, an AD converter is considered an analog input. Wouldn't they use the same reasoning here?

I didn't have any problems with the convertor not exporting the name of the uploaded file, provided it already named of course. Seems to "work as advertised." What I don't understand, or perhaps this is yet to be seen, is how well they will market this "new" capability of Hi-MD: the ability to do what you want w/mic and line-in recordings. Will they post this info on the product pages for Hi-MD on sonystyle.com (and other country's sony sites). The site they posted it on is hardly well known to most people.

Personally, it may help Hi-MD gain more respect in the audio enthusiast community if they post info about the helper apps they have, such as the WAV convertor. Maybe future Hi-MD buyers will just have a copy of the software on the installation CD...

What really sucks is that you first have to covert your recording to OMG and then the application will convert it to WAV. Too many steps and conversions processes may jeopardize my recording. Ideally, it would be great to take your recording (Line or Mic) and covert it to a WAV without the extra OMG baggage.

I'm going to stick to real time transfer. At least the WAV will be as large as it needs to be without the 650 split limitation reported.

What are the designers at SONY thinking? The WAV converter blocks digital transfers, why should they make it so hard to transfer an analog recording?

I know I'm stating the obvious, but after the big hype and wait I'm very disappointed as the rest of you.

so, uh, anybody at home right now beside the 18 used starbucks triple shot supercaf double caramel cups working on a mac os x wav converter? my hi-md 900 shows up fine on the mac but no audio management software is available for it that i know of. i'd love to be able to easily dump md audio files onto my glorious powerbook machine. virtual pc for osx is WAAAAAAYYYYYY too slow (worked great on os 9, though) to run sonicstage, etc.). it's a drag to have to go over to my pc desktop just for the md. plus, it would be great to dump field recording into the notebook while on the road. anybody else on this train?

take care!

What really sucks is that you first have to covert your recording to OMG and then the application will convert it to WAV.  Too many steps and conversions processes may jeopardize my recording.  Ideally, it would be great to take your recording (Line or Mic) and covert it to a WAV without the extra OMG baggage.

I'm going to stick to real time transfer.  At least the WAV will be as large as it needs to be without the 650 split limitation reported.  

What are the designers at SONY thinking?  The WAV converter blocks digital transfers, why should they make it so hard to transfer an analog recording?

I know I'm stating the obvious, but after the big hype and wait I'm very disappointed as the rest of you.

I don't quite understand the problem here. The recording is saved on your Hi-MD in OMA format. If you recorded in PCM, the music is in WAV wrapped up in DRM. If you recorded compressed, it is in Atrac format wrapped in DRM. There is no change here compared to NetMD, except you can now record in PCM, and you can transfer to your PC.

When you transfer the file to your PC, there is no change made to the content of your file. It is saved to your drive in OMA format.

Then the WAV converter takes your file and turns your recording into a WAV file. If it is PCM, then it goes to WAV, if its atrac, it goes to WAV.

Yes there are a number of steps which means some points of failure, but if it all works, it is what people have been asking for.

I'm coming into this without having fully followed the past history, but from what I've read above, there's a "3rd party" program for converting to wave format, and now there's a Sony program - to see whether the two are arriving at the same result, someone with Cool Edit or other reasonable audio program should be able to invert the phase of files obtained from each method, and if they are identical, you'll get silence. If not, you'll get the difference between them. You'll need to line them up (timewise) precisely, but that shouldn't be too hard with suitable test material.

I have just loaded the Sony Wav converter. Is it only suppose to find files which have been in SS, that have been recorded through the MD? Because I don't have any of my recorded files in SS, so the program doesn't pick up any files that need to be convertered....

Does this mean my program has become obsolete or not?

I guess if I continue adding mp3,flac,etc support it will  become less obsolete....

Absolutely not. HiMDRenderer is the sole reason I decided to get a HI-MD after I had dismissed from my initial perceptions of how Sony had limited it. You may want to know, I have a CDR with the zip of your program, securely locked in a safe, just in case we get hit by a meteor, and go back to living like in the 1800s. (Kidding there, but I do have a backup on CDR, in a safe, with all my valuable programs) Keep up the good work. Your program pwns Sony's completely. And quite frankly, I don't see any point on using Sony's. Vive Le Haute-Minidisque Rendereur! :laugh: