Re: Availability and price of 1GB disks.

Rate this topic

Sparky191

Yeah, I think the discs are pretty available now... when the units first came out it was hard to find them here (NS, Canada) but now they're everywhere. A little pricey, but available.

And you're right - the iPods are in pretty high demand. I'm thinking about crossing the line, too. Except for the live recording, I think it's a way easier way to enjoy music.

I haven't had much trouble finding them. A few months ago, I was ordering them from Sony, Crutchfield, and Minidisco. Now, they are sold at the Sony Style store in the mall, so I just pick them up when I'm there. I've never found each online place to be sold out at the same time. And they all sell them for the same price. Shipping varies by a dollar or two, so I suggest buying more than one when you find a place that does.

very rare in germany as well...

however i recently found some in a local "media markt".

asked an employee, who told me, that the about 15 pieces laying on the shelf were the only ones they received from sony.

so i immediately grabbed 6 ones, and another customer i met there took another 5, telling me that for him, as well, it was the first time to see them in stock. it was clear, that the next customer would take the rest...

i would have taken all of them, but i fear prices getting cheaper, and then i´d feel like a fool...

P.S. i really don´t like the new cases, never liked those "flip open" cases anyway, but these are aditionally much bigger, for -imo- no good reason, and the md´s are not that safe in their "keeping" meaning they drop out on shock, and the md is rattling around inside the case mad.gif

luckily i´ve enough old ones lying aroud here :rasp:

edit: forgot to mention, cost @ 6.90€ a piece

I have only one that came with US MZ-NH1. The case of HiMD is half transparent

slide-in style-same as old MD cases. What about German's bundle HiMD case?

for that one, that came with the unit, i have the same.

but the ones i purchased at that store are more "cd like". it has about the same width as the old ones, but it´s about 1" longer, and twice as deep. there´s a small two-sided booklet inkluded, which is attached to the transparent front, "cd-stye"

the booklet is not a bad idea, but i prefer the smaller need for space, and memorizing what i´ve got on the discs (works for me, at least sometimes...:wacky:)

unfortunately i got no accessible webspace atm but i can provide you with pics via email if you want to. -and perhaps you can put them online. rolleyes.gif

UK, ROI, Channel Isles and Western Europe:

www.blankshop.com seem to have 1G discs in stock,

they are not the cheapest around at £6.00 and there's postage on top of that, but they are a reliable dealer and I've only had good experience with them (though I havn't ordered any 1G discs yet, so I can't confirm that they actually have any)

Might be a good bet if you are wanting to buy several discs,

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hopefully TDK will be making them soon because I'm not a real big fan of Sony's MD's. I've found that TDK's standard MD-XG's work flawlessly whereas the Sony's I've used have either been prone to dropouts or not even reading at all.

The sooner TDK makes them the better I'll feel.

The idea of not having to juggle any kind of media would make it very difficult to steer people away from iPods and the like. Fact is, 20 - 80GB storage in the palm of your hands is definitely a winner over a 1GB disc.

MD can do better than it is now, but to switch people back from the iPod? Personally, I highly doubt that would ever happen. That's why the Sony Ericsson effort to download tunes directly onto your phone is their aim so they can get it from their PC or they can download while on the go. Now that's an iPod on steroids if I ever saw one. But I wouldn't expect that of an MD unit dude.

The idea of not having to juggle any kind of media would make it very difficult to steer people away from iPods and the like. Fact is, 20 - 80GB storage in the palm of your hands is definitely a winner over a 1GB disc.

depends...

i prefer to have a physical equivalent of my 'metaphysical' music data, in a sense of "hmmm.. what am i gonna listen to now ? -ah see, my nice orange disc with the slamming recording of a house-dj set, that´s it !" or a " hey, what´s on that disk? -pop it in and find out !", instead of endlessly browsing through directories, finding nothing you really want to listen to.(happens to me a lot, when i listen to music on my pc)

and you forgot to mention, that if your 20gb ipod is full, it´s full. you´ll have to delete stuff. on md, you just buy another pack of disks, and you´re fine.

but i couldn´t agree more on a bigger variety of hi-md blanks, c´mon, there´s only 1 (one!) single type, how many different md blanks are there ? 100 ?

that´s more like it.