A Guide to Distinguish Genuine & Fake Memory Stick Pro Duo

Rate this question

Ishiyoshi

Question

Attention all Memory Stick Pro DUO bargain hunters!

If you are in the market for a new MS Pro DUO, please take a read at this interesting guide from VR-Zone Hardware Forum - click for more details: Distingush Genuine & Fake Memory Stick Pro Duo

excerpts from the guide:

Currently, there is a huge batch of fake memory sticks in the market. It looks so real that even supplier can't see the differences.

While walking around Sim Lim today, I also spotted some shop selling fake SONY memory stick pro duo. As I have known, there are currently 3 brands of fake memory stick pro duo products and 2 of them are in Singapore. They are:

- Sony

- Sandisk

- Lexar

Mostly will ask.. HUH!! SANDISK (note.. not SCANDISK is SANDISK)!! Serious or not!! yes.. serious!! THERE IS FAKE SANDISK MEMORY STICK PRO DUO!! lol

Anyway this short tips here will tell beginners on spotting the fake SONY memory stick pro duo products. The sandisk one I'm still doing the investigation. All the informations given below are based on web infos + SONY given infos.

1 - Prices

The prices of fake MS Pro Duo are very cheap at retail shop... unless the boss is doing a closing down sales. The price are usually ranging bout $200-$250 for a 2GB one, and this price is actually the supplier price for an original one.

2 - Seals

Original Sony Package Seals have Long Staple like Seal, and it is sealed in using heat. Fake one have round seals, and the seals are sealed up using glue.

3 - Capacity

Fake 2GB MS Pro Duo have 1948MB and 1959MB of memory space when it is shown on devices like PSP. Genuine one have a capacity of 1909MB while some devices will read 1910MB.

For the old batch of 1948MB Fake version, I actually feel quite shocking... because it indeed can save up to 1948MB!! Tested and Proven by myself!!

For the 1948mb newer version and 1959MB Fake version, all I have to say is good luck. although it is written 1959MB, the size actually cannot hold more than 1GB.. which is reported by a lot of people, so it means that it is the "cheat" which makes the software reads 1959MB.. while the card is only around 1GB.

4 - Transfer Speed

The transfer speed of real one is at about 80Mbps. Fake one will have slower transfer speed. 1948MB one actually can go on 65Mbps to 70Mbps... 1959MB one ... at most 60Mbps.

To test timing, try transfering a 1GB file to the stick and use the stopwatch to calculate the time of file transfer. This is the easiest way.... click the link provided above for further info.

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

How to Distinguish Genuine & Fake Memory Stick Pro Duo Revisited

For those still confused between a genuine and fake Memory Stick Pro Duo - please review the following guide: click here for PCPOP's pictorial-guide (translated by QJ.NET)

excerpts from the guide:

NOTE:
Left = Real; Right = Fake

18198_memory_stick_contrast_02_0410_qjge18198_memory_stick_contrast_03_0410_qjge

• The exterior of the genuine memory stick is abrasive, while the fake one feels slick.
  • The back of the genuine memory stick has some information sculpted by laser beam, not printed.
  • The volume of genuine memory sticks is 480MB, while the fake on has only 468MB.
  • Sony customer service center cannot tell if your memory stick is genuine or fake.
18198_memory_stick_contrast_01_0410_qjge18198_memory_stick_contrast_04_0410_qjge18198_memory_stick_contrast_05_0410_qjge
  • The genuine memory stick is hard to open up, while the fake one cracks up easily because it's not even glued well.
    The genuine memory stick uses a Samsung flash memory chip, while the fake one uses an unknown chip (in fact with the text burnished away from the chips), which is inferior.
18198_memory_stick_contrast_06_0410_qjge

Genuine Sony Memory Stick Pro DUO 1GB

The most ironical thing happened to the author of this article, was that the lady in the Sony CS center replied him "Your (fake) memory stick is genuine, maybe you need to switch to another card reader." after he asked about his (fake) card not recognized by his computer. So, can we assume that even Sony cannot tell if the memory stick is real or fake? Sigh...

17 answers to this question

Thanks for posting this! Of course, I saw this after I purchased one of those allegedly fake Duo cards. Anyways, I have one of those that registers as 1958MB in my PSP. I decided to see what the performance was like and to see if it could actually hold that much data.

In terms of holding that much data, it's perfectly fine as one my tests involved filling it up to the maximum.

For speed, I ran some informal tests with some of the MS PRO Duo cards that I have. I have a SanDisk gaming one which is known to be the fastest on the market. I have an official Sony PSP 1GB that came in my GigaPack and I have the questionable "High-Speed" 2GB one.

Copy Test 925MB (Mixed files)

SanDisk Gaming MS PRO Duo 1GB - 5.41MB/s (86.55 Mbps)

Sony GigaPack PSP MS PRO Duo 1GB - 5.32MB/s (85.05 Mbps)

Sony "High-Speed" MS PRO Duo 2GB - 5.29MB/s (84.57 Mbps)

Copy Test 1900MB (Mixed Files)

Sony "High-Speed" MS PRO Duo 2GB - 4.47MB/s (71.53 Mbps)

So, with SanDisk cards being the benchmark it's encouraging to see that the "High-Speed" card more less performs on par. Sony states that the "High-Speed" moniker means that it achieves up to 80Mbps and my tests seem to more or less confirm that. A "normal" Sony MS Duo card is supposed to only get up to 15Mbps so these cards are definitely faster than that. I was surprised that the PSP card performed like a High-Speed model since I thought it would be "regular".

I also ran a test with single large file (650MB) and speeds exceeded the mixed files test so every thing looks good.

So, while it may be fake, it's a damn good fake since it works as advertised. Of course, I'm wondering how it will do in the long run but we'll see. For now, I'm still happy with the purchase.

:)

Well, from your tests the 'fake' does seem to be of exceptionally high quality. So much so thta i wonder why whoever is bootlegging them does not simnply start a rival firm.

Perhaps the fake cards are different to the one in which you own?

EDIT - It seems you must have one of the first batches of 'fakes'.

After looking at the link from which Ishi quoted it would seem that i own a fake 1gb Sony!! I purchased this to go inside my phone, but it certainly has the fake packing.

EDIT - i bought my 1gb for £40 from Ebay.

Capacity is reading 949mb

Just transfered 163mb of MP3 in 223seconds. Seems very slow, although i think my my USB ports are messed ATM and are only 1.1

Edited by Richard_p

The interesting thing about the one I have is that it doesn't seem to have any size problems like the ones mentioned in the link above. It fits in all my devices so it is an extremely good fake. Even the silkscreen on the device is dang good. I'll upload pix tomorrow so everyone can see what it looks like.

I ended up with a fake Sony 128mb Duo awhile back. Was tearing out my hair trying to figure out why SonicStage wouldn't recognize it for use in NW-MS70D player...till I noticed the packaging was wrong (I bought a legit card around same time).

Lesson learned: don't buy memory cards on eBay

PS Other than not actually having openMG support the card worked great

Guest Stuge

Thing is now i really don't trust Ebay unless it's cpming from within U.K.

I think we should not buy memory sticks from ebay ..Also Sony India uses Hologram for the genuinity on memory stick box ..

Well, from your tests the 'fake' does seem to be of exceptionally high quality. So much so thta i wonder why whoever is bootlegging them does not simnply start a rival firm.

Yeah his fake (above) didn't seem that bad, but there are lots of horror stories about fakes, particularly like them not working at all after a short time period, data loss, etc.

As for why the bootleggers/counterfeitters don't just start a rival firm is (for one thing) because of the royalties... You can't just produce MS cards and start selling them without paying the licensing fees, obviously these companies/people that are producing the fakes don't want to pay that--it is probably cheaper to just copy the Sony packaging and sell them as if they were real, to unsuspecting ppl.

I think we should not buy memory sticks from ebay ..Also Sony India uses Hologram for the genuinity on memory stick box ..

IIRC they are pretty good at making fake holograms now too, so the hologram isn't a good way of knowing either. Definitely stay away from eBay for Memory Sticks. Just buy them at your local, Sony Authorised computer or electronics stores--Future Shop, Staples (for Canada at least), known good local computer shops, etc. They have dropped in price quite a bit these days, it definitely isn't worth taking a chance to save a few bucks on eBay.

Guest Stuge

In India (specially Living in Delhi ,Mumbaietc) .I will suggest people to buy memory sticks from "Sony World" do`nt buy memory sticks from Gray or grey market like Palika market or Gaffar market

I think there's mistake, firstly, the 512mb MS, isn't the right one is the genuine, and the left is fake, as we can see the back print of right one doesn't look like printed, but sculpted. (refer to the first sets of the pics). I maybe wrong.

The circuit board reveals everything! In fact the best way is to open 'em up before purchase, but you know....

Edited by lxrichbirdxl

Yeah I think you're right, but just for that one picture... The rest it all looks like Left = Real; Right = Fake.

The only thing I can think of is the engraved writing on the first picture you just can't see (because it is engraved) but the one on the right might be printed so that's how you see it in the pic? I dunno but it's only that picture that seems like it might be incorrect, all the rest you can clearly see the samsung chip on the left and the no-name fake chip on the right.

A fast way to determine if its fake, without opening it.

Requires a psp.

1, put it in your psp,

2, go to the game selection tab thing

3, highlight the "memory stick" and click "triangle"

4, click "information"

5, if by "MagicGate" is says unknown its fake. (and it should to support magicgate)

Well it works with me, can some other people with fakes check and some people with real ones check.

Edited by DannyB37