How good is your hearing?

Rate this topic

Sparky191

At a sample rate of 44.1 kHz the highest possible frequency would be 22.05 kHz (half the sample rate) or a bit lower. So, what is supposed to be the 22.4 kHz tone is in fact silence.

i can almost understand that;; so;; a pair of buds with a freq response of 20-20,000 would not hear a tone at let's say 21,000;; but,, my buds at 5 to 24,000 COULD hear that 21,000 tone;; right;; but at a sample rate of 44.1kHz??

i can almost understand that;; so;; a pair of buds with a freq response of 20-20,000 would not hear a tone at let's say 21,000;; but,, my buds at 5 to 24,000 COULD hear that 21,000 tone;; right;; but at a sample rate of 44.1kHz??

Analog and digital gear are different. While a digital audio file with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz can reproduce any frequency up to 22.05 kHz with equal intensity, there is nothing above that frequency. Analog gear on the other hand does not have such a steep cutoff - a headphone or loudspeaker that is rated for 22 kHz upper frequency limit will also reproduce 23 or 24 kHz, but with lower intensity (a few dB quieter).

post-6863-1183496871_thumb.png

Analog and digital gear are different. While a digital audio file with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz can reproduce any frequency up to 22.05 kHz with equal intensity, there is nothing above that frequency. Analog gear on the other hand does not have such a steep cutoff - a headphone or loudspeaker that is rated for 22 kHz upper frequency limit will also reproduce 23 or 24 kHz, but with lower intensity (a few dB quieter).

thank you for that explanation;; i understood 99% of it;; and we all KNOW i (rayzray) am certainly a 99% ANALOGUE guy;;

it's nice to know me and my speakers have that extra headroom to play with and hear;; like the "sizzles" of the cymbols or the ssuuhh of the "S" word..

that's why i love what i listen to;; even though i drastically change and edit it all the time..

i could only hear to 16.7, and i'm only 24 years old :(

it seriously bothers me that i can't hear the ones above that. i'm gonna ask my fiancee if she can hear any higher or if our computer speakers (the ones that came with this Gateway) just suck.....

EDIT: okay, i could hear 17.7 when i turned my awful speakers up a bit. the irony is my fiancee, 2 years my junior and very protective of her hearing (no loud music, seldom uses headphones, puts ear plugs in at concerts) could only hear to 16.7. i'd like to blame poor speakers and pretend i never took this awful test....

Edited by whatsleftofj

• 4 weeks later...

I heard the last one ,21.1 as well very clearly on just my macbook speakers , so I know I would hear it in monitors, I did notice the the 16 khz region seemed weak I had to play it twice . 19 was audible , 8 was quite loud compared to the others

Edited by Guitarfxr

I only heard up to the third one through my not so great puter speakers, will have to dig up some decent phones and see what rips, between perforated eardrums, occupational hearing loss etc I know mine isn't great, but I can still hear what sounds good

Bob

Fascinating, I used my Ultimate Ears but found out they are only good 16,000 Mhz I was able to 21.1 Mhz and I am 43. I am surprised due the the fact I have listen to loud headphones since I was 16. I have been asked to tune house, rooms and evaluate Hi-end stereo equipment. I haven't listened to test tones in about five years though. I was surprised to find out that the frequency one hears diminishes with age.

Edited by Hombre

I could hear them all (except the last silent track, obviously) played back -crescendo- on my speakers; I did some serious editing beforehand to get rid of those clicks in between tracks, as I couldn't fully test the tones as they were recorded, it was plain unbearable when upping the volume to hear the very high ones.

Here are they are, cleaned and in .wav...

post-2576-1232433303.jpg

post-2576-1232433310_thumb.jpg

post-35710-1232582973.jpg

post-58139-1232856915.jpg

Design.bmp

post-3984-1233286055.jpg

post-3984-1233286061.jpg

post-3984-1233286067.jpg

post-73584-1233556172_thumb.jpg

post-73584-1233556177_thumb.jpg

post-23131-1234339879.jpeg

Hey wizard, I think something went seriously wrong during your editing, they're not pure sine tones anymore, but a collection of tones, of which the fundamental goes as low as 1 kHz. No wonder anyone can hear that.

oops... something went wrong indeed...

I'll delete my post & look into this...

I'll try the MP3 splitter software instead of what I did MP3 > opt-in RH1 > PCM

Maybe that's why I couldn't hear nething after the third one, will try l8r with the update,

Bob