New Hi-MD [clear Blue] Disc Available Soon!

Rate this topic

Christopher

Tired of those purple/red Hi-MD discs? Don't fear, a new design is on the way. No word on availability, but it should start to trickle down to various regions during Summer/Fall.

Click on the attachments to see the new design.

Front:

[attachmentid=236]

Back:

[attachmentid=237]

Thanks to forum member gregtsai for the pictures! I'm also confirming that these exist. ;)

When are they coming out? I hope Walmart starts carrying these!

According to our Taiwanese members, this new Hi-MD media is available for retail sale in Taiwan; and they cost the same as their predecessor: the "blue/purple" 1GB disc. In addition, they are packaged like standard 74/80 min MDs.

I am going to investigate its availability back in Japan. Hopefully, other producers such as TDK, AXIA, Maxell and Victor will follow suit.

They're transparent, and they come in the standard Sony slip-in cases, not the bulky boxes the first generation of HiMD discs came in.

The labels on the other hand... yucky. Tiny oval little bastards with barely enough room to write two or three artists. 3 white, 3 blue labels...

They're transparent, and they come in the standard Sony slip-in cases, not the bulky boxes the first generation of HiMD discs came in.

The labels on the other hand... yucky. Tiny oval little bastards with barely enough room to write two or three artists. 3 white, 3 blue labels...

Where did you purchased the blue 1GB disc?

Where did you purchased the blue 1GB disc?

http://www.sonystyle.ca over the week-end.

I wanted to order 5 discs but the shopping cart would only allow me to add 3 HiMD discs to my cart because it said that's how many Sony had in stock.

I thought they were the regular first generation HiMD discs. I only found out they were the new transparent blue type once I got my package this morning. I was kind of surprised to see what was inside. When I first opened the box, I was sure they had sent me 3 blue 80-min discs. Then I took them out of the box and saw that they were 1GB discs.

For the outside packaging, the front of the plastic shrink wrap is white, with two blue circles centered in the middle. The outside circle is transparent and about 5cm in diameter. The inside circle is not transparent; it's about 3cm in diameter and has the HiMD logo right in the middle of it.

Sorry I can't provide pictures. sad.gif

compared to sonystyle's europe site the canadian one is heaven!

not only does it have the RH units listed but it allso have the pure storage device listed!

err, oops, it was that flash card reader. silly me crazy.gifrtfm.gifwhistling.gif

damn it sony, its about time you do something to that european site!

still, both sites have no entry for media from what i can see...

edit: found it on the .ca site under audio accessories...

and another bit about the diff of those two sites, the european one loves to fail in firefox!

Edited by hobgoblin

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought three more from Future Shop in downtown Montreal.

They were hiding them and I had to ask for them, but they immediately knew what I was talking about.

Before going there I checked the Future Shop website to make sure they had them in stock. I was expecting to get the bulky boxes again, but instead the Future Shop dude gave me three clear blue discs.

On a related note, the Sony Style store in the same area was out of stock on HiMD discs.

here in switzerland one disc is still about 12$

I live at the border to switzerland in germany you can get one disc for 5,50€ (7$)

(still only the old one). You should better buy your mds here since you get the 16% VAT back smile.gif .

Besides, I don't know if this is usual, but i got the Hi-MD coming with my NH1 in a complete transparent slip case.

I don't like the "For walkman use" branding. wink.gif

Does that mean no full size decks soon or am I reading too far into this?? blink.gif

happy.gif

I've just stocked up on 12 of the 'classic' blue/purple ones, d'oh! unsure.gif

Edited by MDGB2

Is this clear blue hi md disc out in japan yet? My friend who is in japan can only find the normal black one. Anybody know where to get it?

The clear blue Hi-MD media is not available in Japan as yet. Thus far, they can be found in Taiwan, Canada and Europe. (I believe it was Germany or Switzerland) Hopefully, they will show up elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

You can get the blue Hi-MD discs from this guy now in the USA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-1GB-1-GB-5-PACK-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

I just bought a 5-pack and they shipped cross-country in two days. They are much better looking than the opaque Hi-MDs, and they're back in the old plastic sleeves, not oversize. Haven't yet recorded on them, but fingers are crossed.