HI-MD SOUND QUALITY:((

Rate this topic

pinkfloydian

HI.

I USED SONY CD-MP3 PLAYER SO I HAVE A LOTS OF MP3 CDS. BUT I BOUGHT MZ-RH10 BECAUSE OF DISCMANS SIZE. I HEARD LOTS OF THING ABOUT SOUND QUALITY OF MD S. BUT WHEN I CONVERT MY MP3 S(MOST OF THEM ARE 128 KBPS AND I CONVERT THEM TO 105KBPS ATRAC) IT WAS REALLY BAD AND MY OLD DISCMAN IS BETTER ABOUT SOUND. DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG?? AND WHEN I TRIED NOT TO CONVERT THEM AND SAVE AS MP3 IT WAS REALLY BAD SOUNDING.IT IS PLAYING AS A RADIO :angry: WHAT SHOULD I DO? WHAT I DID WRONG????????

SORRY FOR MY VERY VERY BAD ENGLISH :P

HI.

I USED SONY CD-MP3 PLAYER SO I HAVE A LOTS OF MP3 CDS. BUT I BOUGHT MZ-RH10 BECAUSE OF DISCMANS SIZE. I HEARD LOTS OF THING ABOUT SOUND QUALITY OF MD S. BUT WHEN I CONVERT MY MP3 S(MOST OF THEM ARE 128 KBPS AND I CONVERT THEM TO 105KBPS ATRAC) IT WAS REALLY BAD AND MY OLD DISCMAN IS BETTER ABOUT SOUND. DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG?? AND WHEN I TRIED NOT TO CONVERT THEM AND SAVE AS MP3 IT WAS REALLY BAD SOUNDING.IT IS PLAYING AS A RADIO :angry: WHAT SHOULD I DO? WHAT I DID WRONG????????

SORRY FOR MY VERY VERY BAD ENGLISH :P

Your english is great,

Please read the "Rules for support-related topics ... " highlighted in pinkish red at the top of this reply

This topic has been discussed many times , click on search and type MP3's as your topic you will get many answers to your question. Here are 2 random ones I found when I searched Mp3 topic 1 MP3 topic 2

dont forget to update to the latest software versions, and mod your equalizer to your taste

smilesalot2u :rolleyes:

Transcoding at such bitrates will most likely give a significant quality loss, the native mp3 playback needs to be equalized to sound ok. I wouldn't suggest (Hi)MD with all its limitations at all if your main intention is playing mp3s, but for recording it's hard to beat.

Ok. Sorry for my entry. i did'nt know.

but i think my problem is not solved.

what i am saying is my players sound quality is something like mp3 64 kbps when i encode them in atrac 105 kbps. i don't have any background noise but i can't hear the song very good. in electronic music it is really great. really beats. but wwhen i try something rocky it is really bad and unable to listen. especially in old songs of pink floyd and led zeppelin. and i was listening them most of day. when i use discman it is not very good about bass. but i could fell the sound all the songs. thanks for any helps.

muhammed

another way to ask:

what should i do for having the best sound from 128 kbps mp3s in md.

it is enough to play them like my old discman.

ppl actually answered it already I think:

- either transcode to atrac and beware that SQ will drop by converting... and higher bitrate will sound better than lower is a good rule when choosing the atrac type

- or use the MP3's as they are, but use the EQ to raise the higher frequencies, as the 2nd gen HiMD are bugged in their MP3 playback

- or just buy a (non-ipod) decent MP3-player when all you want to do is play MP3's and not record anything

Your mp3s are not very good to start with. A song that has been compressed to 128kbps has already lost a lot of information. Then you are compressing it again to ATRAC, so you are losing even more information. Each time you compress again the sound gets worse.

To have the MD sound exactly like your mp3s, you would need to transfer them as PCM files. That would not compress them any more. But then you need a 1GB disc to hold just one album.

You need to start with better quality tracks. If you or your friends have the Pink Floyd or Led Zep CDs, use Simple Burner to transfer them directly to the MD. That way you skip turning them into mp3s first.

Your mp3s are not very good to start with. A song that has been compressed to 128kbps has already lost a lot of information. Then you are compressing it again to ATRAC, so you are losing even more information. Each time you compress again the sound gets worse.

To have the MD sound exactly like your mp3s, you would need to transfer them as PCM files. That would not compress them any more. But then you need a 1GB disc to hold just one album.

You need to start with better quality tracks. If you or your friends have the Pink Floyd or Led Zep CDs, use Simple Burner to transfer them directly to the MD. That way you skip turning them into mp3s first.

thank you so much. but it is really not good to rec as a pcm. i find what i should do. i went to the int. cafe. and downloaded 192 kbps mp3s. they are better now. but i think hi-md s are not for me. i will sell it and will use my old discman.:(

lastly i send it someone else. and i can easly say that it is not good alternative for mp3 players. it is a good recorder but not very good player. sony should work some more. -_-

lastly:

if you are a musician it is perfect for rec.

but if you just want to listen it is not worse to buy because of playing sound quality and limitations. i hate sony. :angry:

With respect you don't know how to use it. The problem is your music is very bad quality. Probably the discman you have is more forgiving because its lower model. If you use high quality earphones and a good quality player you hear more problems with poor quality music than if you use a cheap player. Using PCM on a MD is the same as CD quality. However MP3's especially those from the internet are often very poor quality. If you make ATRAC files from the orignal CD's and listen to them on the MD you will find they sound very good indeed.

I've ABX'ed some wav's made of PCM (I know this is not really necessary as they should be the same, but I wanted both samples to pass through the same process) and HiSP and I must say:

- either my hearing sucks (which could well be the case :lol: )

- or HiSP comes pretty darn close to the real thing

I used winabx and my panasonic RP-JE50's in a quiet environment and I sometimes really thought I heard a difference but never got a significant result

just try for yourself... I'm happy to use HiSP for most of the time, with 1gb discs, it's the perfect combo of SQ and space-saving IMHO...

I've ABX'ed some wav's made of PCM (I know this is not really necessary as they should be the same, but I wanted both samples to pass through the same process) and HiSP and I must say:

- either my hearing sucks (which could well be the case :lol: )

- or HiSP comes pretty darn close to the real thing

I used winabx and my panasonic RP-JE50's in a quiet environment and I sometimes really thought I heard a difference but never got a significant result

just try for yourself... I'm happy to use HiSP for most of the time, with 1gb discs, it's the perfect combo of SQ and space-saving IMHO...

I tend to agree with Volta. 7/12 hrs @ 256K for me is the perfect solution.

I was messing around the other day and decided to burn an album in PCM just to see. I chose an album of electronic ambient music that I know very well as a piece of music and that has very high production qualities. I listened to it all the way through in PCM - sounded great (This was on the EH1 and using the Stanton DJ Pro 60's which have a freq. range of 3-27,000hz). Listened to it again all the way through in Hi-SP and could hardly tell the difference at all. Only maybe in a couple of places, but to be honest it was pretty much identical.

I use Hi-SP for nearly all my music. I use LP2 on Hi-MD formatted discs for podcasts and other spoken audio. I have a few discs made via optical in real SP that I use with my E900 and a few more in LP2 also via optical, again for the E900 when I take it out.

On the few occasions I have recorded music live, I have done so in PCM or Hi-SP and then burnt to audio cds.