MZ-RH1 removed from Sony Style USA Website

Rate this topic

RobA

I remember being in Toyko during the cassette years. There was an area that had at least a city block of small venders selling mostly electronics in a street fair like atmosphere. I was in heaven. I never saw so many cassette players in one place, most of which I'd never seen in the USA

I think that is infact the end folks...we still use minidisc extensively, especially Hi-MD, we use it for audiobooks, and its great

I have no real desire to change formats whatsoever, so as long as Sonic Stage is supported, we will use the format

I remember being in Toyko during the cassette years. There was an area that had at least a city block of small venders selling mostly electronics in a street fair like atmosphere. I was in heaven. I never saw so many cassette players in one place, most of which I'd never seen in the USA

That would be Akihabara

My inclination is to agree, even though I have just returned to the format after three years of I-Podness. I am inclined to grab a few more units and lots of blanks. If Sony had come up with a better option or even a groundbreaking flash unit, I'd feel a little better but they seem to have simply become another Apple chaser...

I went to an Electronics shop yesterday , and asked about their MD stock , They told me Sony MD was no longer going to be stocked , there were only 6 left on the shelf , the Home systems would still be there but to portables were being replaced by the MP3 , and flash Atrac products

this bad. what do you think about the whole MD and Hi-MD-resource in Japan? I`m ask about new and used devises. do really buy in your country R50 in good condition or new NH1 now?

and what about other MD-brands: Panasonic, Kenwood, Sharp, Victor? they produse great MD-players too.

I`m notice that Net MD Sharp IM-DR80 disappeared from auctions.yahoo.co.jp and there is only it clone from kenwood.

this bad. what do you think about the whole MD and Hi-MD-resource in Japan? I`m ask about new and used devises. do really buy in your country R50 in good condition or new NH1 now?

and what about other MD-brands: Panasonic, Kenwood, Sharp, Victor? they produse great MD-players too.

I`m notice that Net MD Sharp IM-DR80 disappeared from auctions.yahoo.co.jp and there is only it clone from kenwood.

Your English suggests Taiwan or China , where are you from .

I like the older MD units they were made very well ,and if you find one in good shape , generally they will stay that way .

The only problem is finding replacement parts for them. That can be expensive.

My R50 is still going strong

Your English suggests Taiwan or China , where are you from .

I like the older MD units they were made very well ,and if you find one in good shape , generally they will stay that way .

The only problem is finding replacement parts for them. That can be expensive.

My R50 is still going strong

No,I`m from Russia)) Thanks for info, although I think you can tell more)

No,I`m from Russia)) Thanks for info, although I think you can tell more)

Nice to meet you,

Th only real reason for HiMD (Rh1) is to be able to load to your computer , if you dont mind listening from the MD itself , the older MD's are just fine

I have an MZ-1 , the first MD recorder made , and it sounds very good , it wont play MDs I recorded on later units , but the first and second versions of ATRAC it plays well , The thing to me that is important , is that it sounds good and it works , just simply works. The more complicated things get , the more chance for failure.

Nice to meet you too)

I agree with you about HI-MD units. Now I use non HI-MD Panasonic SJ-MR250 in spite of I have also MZ-NH1. But both of these playesr are relatively new devises, that why I`d like to listen old MD models. about MZ-1 i think that buy this player in good condition is very difficult. what model of old md-player which I can find and buy on japan auctions in good condition you can recommend me?

Thanks for answer.

Edited by pharmchemist

Not suitable for pro use? I use the RH-1 for backup on recordings of classical music concerts for FM radio broadcast, and it's perfectly good for that - and some months back, being asked to record a symphony concert at one of the ABC (Australian) radio concert hall studios (not for the ABC itself though) I grabbed the RH-1 and NH-1 (to back up the RH-1) and got a perfectly fine result. It ain't what you've got, it's the way that you use it. I think they have probably sold quite a few to radio stations worldwide, and could probably go on doing so for a couple more years while the replacement technologies mature.

Nice to meet you too)

I agree with you about HI-MD units. Now I use non HI-MD Panasonic SJ-MR250 in spite of I have also MZ-NH1. But both of these playesr are relatively new devises, that why I`d like to listen old MD models. about MZ-1 i think that buy this player in good condition is very difficult. what model of old md-player which I can find and buy on japan auctions in good condition you can recommend me?

Thanks for answer.

The R50 was the best one they ever made , the Mic pre is clean , and the machine was over built , very durable , the only problem is finding replacement batteries. The are available in the US cheap , but not in Japan

Not suitable for pro use? I use the RH-1 for backup on recordings of classical music concerts for FM radio broadcast, and it's perfectly good for that - and some months back, being asked to record a symphony concert at one of the ABC (Australian) radio concert hall studios (not for the ABC itself though) I grabbed the RH-1 and NH-1 (to back up the RH-1) and got a perfectly fine result. It ain't what you've got, it's the way that you use it. I think they have probably sold quite a few to radio stations worldwide, and could probably go on doing so for a couple more years while the replacement technologies mature.

I will agree , I like the rec level on the fly , Use the 40 ELK remote and the Scroll wheel is the Rec level during recording , very smooth.

here is a Baroque group I recorded with the RH1 and an AT-822

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?act=A...ost&id=2313

Edited by Guitarfxr

I have quitted recording music on MD/HiMD since early 2006. To be exact, I have abandoned all players that do not allow free, unrestricted transfer of files as a mass storage device. Unfortunately, not many choices in US.

I now only use my RH1 for audio books and the like, since I fail to find another player in the market that has (1) an error-free and precise resume function, which is very important ; (2) A full-functional remote control, and I truly do not understand why it seems no one cares about this in US consumer market.

RH1 is a very nice player hardware-wise. I may acquire another one before it goes antique just for collection and fond rememberance, since I have been dealing with the format for more than 10 years. But rightnow, I have had enough with that BS SonicStage.

Why am I not surprised. Seems to me, recording on flash memory is the way to go. Could Sony not easily transform their MD recorders? Stick a memory card in there instead of a disc?

I had a look it this Zoom H4. It's pretty ugly, but the features are cool. The Boss mini also seems to be a cool gadget. But does anybody know what the sound qualitiy is like, if you use it as a player? I use my hi-md (RH10) as a player most of the time and sound quality is superb.

I am pretty peeved at this. I kind of had expected SONY to keep this guy on the market indefinitely. They offer no approximate replacement and the Zoom H4 looks like the machine to do the deal. That, two pair of AA's, a couple of 2gB memory cards and I am in business. Sheesh, tell me this isn't so. I was tempted to order another RH1 but why? It is an orphan. Oh, well, not every day is Christmas, or Sunday, or lottery-wining day. Some days are just the shits.

Cheers B)

The sound is supurb as you put it, whch is why i continue with the relative complexity of mini disc over flash or hard drive players. When they come up with a flash player that sounds as good as Hi Md, i'll have to think about it-though I would still keep my MDs as back ups. I hear the new Sony 8 gb player that is not out in the US yet is very very good. I'm going to check it out when it gets here-if it gets here, but only as an addition to my digital players

Incredible piece about the Microsoft technology, which makes me wonder, all the more, why none of these flash players sound as good as my MD's. Is it that they can;'t or they just don't put the resources in that direction as they figure consumer want more gadgets?

Incredible piece about the Microsoft technology, which makes me wonder, all the more, why none of these flash players sound as good as my MD's. Is it that they can;'t or they just don't put the resources in that direction as they figure consumer want more gadgets?

That, and there's an enormous amount of intellectual property in analog circuit design that only a select few manufacturers have (Sony being one of them). Yes, you read that right. Analog. The Chinese factories can put out a 64-bit 500MHz flash recorder encased in some g*d-awful plastic ("Designed in USA," what a crock) and it still will sound like **** as far as I am concerned.

Let me repeat: The device, regardless of those wild "specs" is worth nothing in my book without the analog circuits to back it up.

I was interested in the Korg MR-1 - I'll admit that, even after the MT2496 fiasco - and then I read the specs: 90dB SNR. What a joke. "Future-proof recording is here!!! OMG!!!" Yeah, right.

Oh wait, I just remembered: My MDs from 1997 still work like new. What, me worry? :yahoo:

That, and there's an enormous amount of intellectual property in analog circuit design that only a select few manufacturers have (Sony being one of them). Yes, you read that right. Analog. The Chinese factories can put out a 64-bit 500MHz flash recorder encased in some g*d-awful plastic ("Designed in USA," what a crock) and it still will sound like **** as far as I am concerned.

Let me repeat: The device, regardless of those wild "specs" is worth nothing in my book without the analog circuits to back it up.

I was interested in the Korg MR-1 - I'll admit that, even after the MT2496 fiasco - and then I read the specs: 90dB SNR. What a joke. "Future-proof recording is here!!! OMG!!!" Yeah, right.

Oh wait, I just remembered: My MDs from 1997 still work like new. What, me worry? :yahoo:

I actually had the 24/96 , for three months , I took it back and sold it at loss.

Thanks everyone for the heads up on this matter regarding to the retiring or possible retiring of the RH1/MD format (just ordered my second RH1 the other day).

For me, the RH1 has proved to be an exceptional tool in the classroom environment. Even when I sat in the back of the class, the recorder/mic picked up every word my professors made clear as a bell. I even managed to sell enough in-class lectures to my fellow classmates to cover the cost of the unit. ;-)

Thanks everyone for the heads up on this matter regarding to the retiring or possible retiring of the RH1/MD format (just ordered my second RH1 the other day).

For me, the RH1 has proved to be an exceptional tool in the classroom environment. Even when I sat in the back of the class, the recorder/mic picked up every word my professors made clear as a bell. I even managed to sell enough in-class lectures to my fellow classmates to cover the cost of the unit. ;-)

There is some inginuity :umnik2:

You could make a Classroom series , based on Subject by Subject , and I am quite sure that Knowledge hounds ( such as myself ) would be quite interested in a exchange of sorts with you :dirol:

Fudge. I am keeping all my MD units. With all the DRM stuff in Vista, the RIAA and the MPAA lobbying to restrict even humming music without paying a license, MD's may become some sort of forbidden (but really sought-after) units in the post-nuclear future.

There is some inginuity :umnik2:

You could make a Classroom series , based on Subject by Subject , and I am quite sure that Knowledge hounds ( such as myself ) would be quite interested in a exchange of sorts with you :dirol:

Update , iTunes now has University courses online for free. I downloaded about 90 GB worth already

Why am I not surprised. Seems to me, recording on flash memory is the way to go. Could Sony not easily transform their MD recorders? Stick a memory card in there instead of a disc?

I had a look it this Zoom H4. It's pretty ugly, but the features are cool. The Boss mini also seems to be a cool gadget. But does anybody know what the sound qualitiy is like, if you use it as a player? I use my hi-md (RH10) as a player most of the time and sound quality is superb.

I agree with you. Sony could easily transform their MD recorders: Stick memory card instead disc. As a matter of fact, I could never trace any equivalent to the Sony portable MiniDisc as far as size + recording capabilities are concerned. I own an MZ-RH910. I like the small size + Mic setting capabilities (low/high sensitivity, AGC normal/loud music) which means that with my ECM-717 mic (modified with 4.5 volts battery), I can enjoy any repetition / concert without concentrating on the recording. The result is almost perfect, and sometimes even better than the pro recordings when I compare to the official commercial CD of a concert (I buy it when there is one issued). The only inconvenience is the lack of drag and drop support for the files and the obligation to use this crazy sonicstage software (in Virtual PC as I have a Mac!). So, I keep my MZ-RH910, and will buy a couple of 1 Go blank HImds just in case (I got only 1 piece!!!).

One thing to mention: Sony did never care about consumers' remarks / needs and have always been very proud of themselves trying to impose their products / solutions. This time, they loose. Unfortunately, we loose too...

There are a bunch of folks still using MD and HI MD for both pro and fan applications. I think someone will pick up the torch, they still make reel to reel tapes so I figure a market still exists for this format as well. Sony, I fiigure will try to force its hand to get MD users to switch to flash units

Edited by SourMilkMoon

I have already stocked up on blank Hi-MD's and standard MD's, just in case Sony tries to lobby along with their buddies at both the RIAA and MPAA to force even online retailers such as MiniDisco (I get my Hi-MDs from them, HMD1GL blue series at that), and also on eBay to ban sales of them, like they did with the DVD/VHS Macrovision and SCMS override "black box" units because Sony knows there are those of us who do own pro (SCMS/DRM-free) decks (such as my MDS-E10 and my HHB CDR-850), and use the blanks and decks for pro-level applications such as making MD compilations and burning CDs of them as backups for personal use in programs like SonicStage.

SCMS? No problem, just get a pro deck instead of a consumer deck!!!, they are twice the price because they are twice as packed as those crappy home units you buy at Circuit City or Best Buy.

I agree with you. Sony could easily transform their MD recorders: Stick memory card instead disc. As a matter of fact, I could never trace any equivalent to the Sony portable MiniDisc as far as size + recording capabilities are concerned. I own an MZ-RH910. I like the small size + Mic setting capabilities (low/high sensitivity, AGC normal/loud music) which means that with my ECM-717 mic (modified with 4.5 volts battery), I can enjoy any repetition / concert without concentrating on the recording. The result is almost perfect, and sometimes even better than the pro recordings when I compare to the official commercial CD of a concert (I buy it when there is one issued). The only inconvenience is the lack of drag and drop support for the files and the obligation to use this crazy sonicstage software (in Virtual PC as I have a Mac!). So, I keep my MZ-RH910, and will buy a couple of 1 Go blank HImds just in case (I got only 1 piece!!!).

One thing to mention: Sony did never care about consumers' remarks / needs and have always been very proud of themselves trying to impose their products / solutions. This time, they loose. Unfortunately, we loose too...

Get the RH1 and MD Transfer 2.0 since you have a Mac

I am on a Macbook Pro core2duo 2.3 ghz ,and a Macbook 1rst gen core duo 2ghz

Drag and drop , you got it .

Hmm? Mac is drag and drop? For what bitrates? I never knew.

When I have MD Transfer window open , I just drag MP'3 , or Wav files right into the window and hit transfer ....done.

As long as the files are 16 bit , not 24 , the bitrate doesnt matter ( soundquality might , but that is to the judgement of the individual)

update , I just hooked up the RH1 , and did not open MD transfer so that the RH1 showed as a disc on the desktop Dragged two mp3's to the icon and the are writing as I type , ok , I "eject " the disc and , ..... it says "No Track " , so I hook it back up. Open the Disc image , ahhhh I see a Executable , and a Folder , the folder says HiMD HiFI , lets drag the two files into the folder . Eject ,.........again "No Track "

so the MP3 files or whatever HAVE to go thru MD transfer to be recognized , but it is actually LESS time dragging to the MD window than to the Icon , dragging to the Icon was like writing to an OLD USB1.0 MO Drive. Going thru MD transfer is pretty quick

Edited by Guitarfxr

I checked sonystyle usa And Now there is No Option for "Minidisc" anymore. (Except for that deck component)

In Sonyspain seem they only have MZ-RH1 Hi-md walkman and have removed all other Minidisc

(I will call Sony spain later today to get confirmation)

http://www.sony.es/view/ShowProduct.action...+Net+MD+Walkman

Seem like Sony want to focus fully on their New Mp3 line.

In the European SonyStyle No trace of any Minidisc either :aggressive:

https://www.sonystyle-europe.com/

Since Sonystyle is not that important they selling just whats most popular

I checked Sony-Europe webside

Headquarter Germany

And Surprise Many MD walkman still avaible like the RH10 :

http://www.sony.de/view/ShowProductCategor...+Net+MD+Walkman

BUT it seem this is only in Sony germany

Both Spain and UK only seem to have RH1

Sony uk minidisc:

http://www.sony.es/view/ShowProduct.action...+Net+MD+Walkman

Seem like RH1 will be the only MD walkman for sale in europe soon.

except in Germany.

In Japan This are the MD being sold now:

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/walkman/lineup.cfm?Series=MD

I couldnt find mention about MD on the Sonystyle japan website (but didnt search extended)

I will let you know what Sony spain tell me about Minidisc soon

As for Me I still Use Minidisc (but havent got into Hi-md yet)

I am very happy with my Samsung mp3 player in both quality and design:

61x62oj.jpg

And i am waiting for the New Samsung mp3 player with Color gui:

http://aving.net/usa/news/default.asp?mode...01&SP_Num=0

but I am still considering to get into Hi-md But the RH1 dont apeal to me

since i dont use remotes and cant see trackname on display

meaning i will have to write tracksongs on Index card which i never doo so a lot of work.

RH10 apeal to me but if is now impossible to get in spain then thats another obstacle.

Spains biggest shopping mall eshop have also removed all traces of minidisc.

At Fnac (spains second biggest shopping mall a french one ) i found RH1 atleast

Ok i will Call sony now to find out about minidisc

Edited by ILoveMinidisc