Sonicstage 3.4 Debuts With Stunning New Functionality

Christopher

Thanks for the graphs, but they don't tell much - if anything at all - about perceived sound quality. Most people can't hear significantly above 16kHz anyway. Artifacts and other oddities are not recognizable is such graphs. A good mp3 encoder which i use regularly is Lamedrop

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Playlist Synchronization: If a playlist is edited in My Library, the playlist will automatically be updated on the ATRAC® Audio Device.

Hi,

This quote is from Sony S.S. 3.4 download page. Does any one know if this feature works with HI-MD?

I have ben testing SS 3.4 with my MZ-NH1 and it never update the playlist in my HI-MD.

Is this feature for non MD devices only? There is no topic on this in the SS 3.4 help.

There is no manual option for this in the software.

:wacko:

"Give us a week or so. :ok"

I just downloaded & installed SonicStage 3.4 onto my computer which has never before had a program installed on it that was designed to interface with my newly purchased MZ-NF610. After what appeared to be a successful install, the software required rebooting. Then, when opening SS3.4 for the first time, one step the process recommends is to "Import" music files I already have on the hard drive. After about 10 minutes of this process, a box popped up stating "Omgibox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." It suggested filing an error report, which I approved, then closed SS3.4. Naturally, any software failure is frustrating. But this error message only reported "Omgibox.exe has encountered a problem," rather than stating something like (hypothetical) "Music file xxxxxxxxx.mpg is improperly encoded and must be removed to complete importation process." At least a message like that would give users a hint as to what they can do to resolve the problem.

I believe the general case statement, "has encountered a problem," should be replaced with a specific error report that can assist humans resolve what ever problems may be encountered.

Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

Thanks for your consideration,

John

I was having this problem with a playlist while importing. I got to reading through the error report and found that it was not liking the title length of one of my MP3's because it was greater than 255 characters in length. I deleted the offending file from the playlist and it worked ok. Unfortunately the reported error never gave me a clue as to why it would not work. Had to figure it out myself.

All I can say is finally Sony made their lawyers step aside and let the engineers do what they do best.

This renews my faith in Sony and I look forward to seeing what further develops in future. Hopefully they've taken this as a lesson learned and not backtrack with further advancements by imposing the initial DRM rubbish we had to live with initially. Now I'm truly happy I've got 2 NH1's!

Thanks for listening Sony! Keep it up and you will be back to number 1 soon enough!

i want to install this on a computer without the internet how do i get the full exe file

US version

http://www.aii.co.jp/contents/sonic/_data/...DlFileSetup.ini

Asia-Pacific version

Europe version

Inside each ini file (above) are listed all the files the installer is requested to download (if your system needs them) and the order in which files must be installed (fronm top to bottom). They are listed next to the path = bit. Stick those files into your download manager or whatever.

Sony files start from the Music Server Controller (listed in the ini file as the [Msc] section) and go on to the end. The files before that are essential Windows files (such as directx, etc) that need to be on your system before installation.

After downloading, unzip the ZIP files.

Any commands needed for each file are listed next to each file's execution section in the ini file. Most can be double-clicked, but those with a forward slash / somewhere in their execution section should be installed with those commandline switches.

For example:

setup.exe /v"OMGCOREINI=OmgCore_GA.ini"

That involves navigating to the directory you extracted the zip files in and putting that in the command line.

Where there are multiple language choices listed in the ini file, install only the language you want (and obviously download only the language you want).

If that is too complex, wait for the full installer which should be available on this site before too long.

yeah, this is all great and all, but i still have tons of standard "old school" minidiscs of personal recordings and i still have to spend 74 minutes uploading, instead of the 5minutes it should take. its just plain silly. You would think sony would realize that if they did allow this seemingly easy option, a lot of people that have stayed away from himd would reconsider. old md users are more likely to use himd than the normal population, don't ya think? how hard would it really be to do. i can't believe someone hasn't ever cracked or hacked the software to allow these things to happen. aren't there any geeks that do md anymore?? i mean, besides me.

nobody but me would ever want to listen to my recordings anyway...

SS 3.3 is the most recent release on the Canadian site. I see the 3.4 release on the US site, but it says in big letters that the download is for US models only, and may not work with models from other countries. Is this really true? Should I wait for 3.4 to be posted on the Canadian site, or should I be OK to download the US version for a MZ-RH10 I bought in Canada? Is there really any difference between the models bought in different countries?

Duley

Duley,

I bought my MZ-RH10 from Minidisc-Canada. I've never had any trouble using US software.

You're not likely to have problems.

John

Hi,

This quote is from Sony S.S. 3.4 download page. Does any one know if this feature works with HI-MD?

I have ben testing SS 3.4 with my MZ-NH1 and it never update the playlist in my HI-MD.

Is this feature for non MD devices only? There is no topic on this in the SS 3.4 help.

:wacko:

Anyone knows if this feature works with hi-md devices ?

Thanks

Seb.

I live here in Spain and I downloaded the American Version and I haven´t had any problems...SS3.4 has come in the nick of time as SS3.3 had started to act up a bit...Thanx Sony this was badly needed...I guess they´re given up on Connect player...I still prefer SonicStage to iTunes......People complain about transfering music to Sony devices...You should´ve seen the problems my Bro Had trying to transfer music from iTunes to his iPod...Only one wish for Sony...Please develope the mini-disc Format and give us 2-3GB Mini-Discs....now that sounds like heaven... :ok:

Playlist Synchronization: If a playlist is edited in My Library, the playlist will automatically be updated on the ATRAC® Audio Device.

Hi,

Anyone knows if this feature works with hi-md devices ?

Thanks

Seb.

HELLO PEOPLE!!! WAKEUP PLEASE!!! :blink:

Does anyone knows??? Please say Yes or No or anything you know about this. For me this is very important

feature if it works.

Is there any one from Sony?? Please say anithing...

Thanks

HELLO PEOPLE!!! WAKEUP PLEASE!!! :blink:

Does anyone knows??? Please say Yes or No or anything you know about this. For me this is very important

feature if it works.

Is there any one from Sony?? Please say anithing...

Thanks

Yes that would be a great feature if we only knew how it works....

i can't believe someone hasn't ever cracked or acked the software to allow these things to happen. aren't there any geeks that do md anymore?? i mean, besides me.

Sure there are, but those geeks would have to crack and modify the firmware in all the recorders, not just the modules used by SS.

Hi there MiniDisc people,

here's a query from a non technically minded person :).

I've read the posts in this thread and I don't think they answer my question. Sorry, if I've missed something!

I have a Hi-MD device, an MZ-NH1 - one of the the first generation I believe.

Will the upgrade to sonic stage allow me to upload mp3s to my HiMD without conversion to atrac? I have hundreds of mp3 ripped from old vinyl and up to now the requirment to convert to atrac has often created unpleasant audio artefacts on the HiMD recording.

Thanks for any response,

Conchuir

I have a Hi-MD device, an MZ-NH1 - one of the the first generation I believe.

Will the upgrade to sonic stage allow me to upload mp3s to my HiMD without conversion to atrac? I have hundreds of mp3 ripped from old vinyl and up to now the requirment to convert to atrac has often created unpleasant audio artefacts on the HiMD recording.

1st-generation HiMD players do not natively support MP3 playback, so no, you can't download MP3s to your NH1 without transcoding to atrac3plus. This is a limitation of the hardware, not SS.

Sony, you are forgiven for the rootkit. Just don't do it again.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the changes to SS but you are not forgiven by me for the rootkit issue since, thanks to you Sony I still have it on my system as well as a Trojan that neither Windows Update nor McAfee is able to remove.

WOW!!!!

I've been away for a few days and I've just seen this!

This is such a massive step in the right direction.

Congrats to Sony!!!

I just hope it's not a "final update, make it really open, then move on" effort by Sony.

I guess socstage will continue to be developed though, with the HDD players.

I'm so glad I bought my MZ-RH10 early last year. Even with the SonicStage restrictions, and only being get mp3s onto the device with SonicStage, it's been the best spend on gadgets I've ever done.

Especially considering it was the top-of-the-range 2nd gen, at under £160 from Amazon UK.

Now Sony has to build on this momentum - there might be a future for HiMD!

My HiMD feature wishlist... :lol:

- An update in capacity of HiMD discs.
4GB would be unbelieveable, 2GB would be amazing, though 1GB is still great for me!

- A selection of HiMD deck models.
(I WOULD LOVE THIS!!! - being able to record linear PCM straight onto HiMD then drop the wav onto my computer hooked up to it. SWEET!!!)
I've got an MDS-JB980s but I've not used the NetMD / USB on that for about 2 years. I think I only ever used it a few times as well, then realised OpenMG Jukebox was cack.

- An external drive for computers, USB bus powered.
If sony were clever about this then they make it so you remove a few bits of plastic, and fit it internally into a 3.5" drive bay using a usb header on your motherboard. You have swappable-fascias as well, black, silver beige.
That would get HiMD into windows media center territory.

- Therefore a HiMD slot on the PS3 would be an obvious step.
So you can play your discs in your living room take them round to mates houses. Playing the HiMD disc, whilst playing the PS3 game would be cool.

- A car head unit (I'm not so bothered by this, but it would be a big deal for many people)

- FLAC playback support (the best lossless format IMO - it's open too!)

- A stand-alone HiMD driver, so you don't have to use SonicStage

- An OSX version of a stand-alone HiMD driver

- Atrac plugin for winamp

- Advertise
For people to buy HiMD rather than iPod, Sony needs to tell people that HiMD exists.
Walk into waterloo station in london and there massive iPod adverts everywhere. Never seen a HiMD ad in the UK before.

I've got a pretty specific idea of this stand-alone driver - someone suggested it on earlier pages and I think it's a killer idea...

Being able to drop music files onto the drive in my computer, and also being able to copy / delete tracks from the device directly from within my computer.

Setting up of groups, well you just make folders and put the music in there.

When you copy tracks off the HiMD device it just copies them off as WAVs.

They need to make the driver, fast, no-nonsense and professional.

I'm not against using sony software, if sony developed this driver it would be amazing. They can still build-in whatever DRM they wish into the driver. SonicStage has improved so much, but for convenience and speed I'd love to see drag & drop in my computer..

And work on a version for OSX with exactly the same functionality.

I think there'd be a few mac music professionals who'd be up for this!!

If Sony had skipped NetMD and just gone with HiMD back in 2003 - would the ipod have been so popular? Doubt it.

And if they'd have chosen to use a HiMD-like technology for the PSP so you could play your HiMD discs on it.

They've got a great opportunity to nail HiMD with the PS3 though - imagine a HiMD slot in your PS3, how sick would that be??

Go on Sony, nail it!!!

Edited by batfastad

Great answer there!!! :lol:

My guess would be that if DRM has been removed, it should be uploadable whether it was recorded on my MZ-R50, MDS-JA30ES or MZ-NH1. Unfortunately, I'm many thousands of miles away from home to try this so I'll have to wait until next month to see for myself.

My guess would be that if DRM has been removed, it should be uploadable whether it was recorded on my MZ-R50, MDS-JA30ES or MZ-NH1.

Not so. There is no uploading support for regular MD formats (SP, LP2, LP4). Only Hi-MD formats upload.

Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks!!

Edited by A440

Are you sure?

I just took a track in My Library (a Hi-MD recording that had been uploaded, no DRM) and transferred it three times to a NetMD disc in SP, LP2 and LP4, then deleted it from My Library. Those tracks would not upload from the MD once the source file was deleted.

A track I did leave in My Library would "upload"--that is, it disappeared from the disc. But without a copy already in My Library, there is no so-called "upload" from NetMD. At least, not for me.

Are you sure?

I just took a track in My Library (a Hi-MD recording that had been uploaded, no DRM) and transferred it three times to a NetMD disc in SP, LP2 and LP4, then deleted it from My Library. Those tracks would not upload from the MD once the source file was deleted.

A track I did leave in My Library would "upload"--that is, it disappeared from the disc. But without a copy already in My Library, there is no so-called "upload" from NetMD. At least, not for me.

I think he means that if you encode it @ LP2 and transfer it to a HiMD formatted disc (1gb or standard HiMD formatted disc), you can upload it back. :blink:

You can put a 64kbps (=LP4 but not labeled as such) or 132 kbps (=LP2) onto a Hi-MD formatted disc. But a Hi-MD formatted disc wouldn't play on a NetMD, so I don't consider it LP2 or LP4. And when you remove it from My Library you can't transfer it back.

At least in SS 3.3, I haven't upgraded yet.