An update on my process to the MD world

Rate this topic

PaulDenton

Just a small stupid update here. You know it is funny but i liked minidiscs and mo discs since at least 16 years or so ago, but i never got to see a minidisc with my own eye, to hold one in my hand. Well now since me and my gf have decided to start using this format (for a number of resons) and order a RH1 for both of us by the upcoming summer (we do not have it yet), i have done some preshopping for minidiscs and for some pre recorded music. My mother works at UK so i ordered my stuff to her place in London, but only yesterday when she returned ( to where i live, small EU country Estonia) did i get to see my orders that, had arrived already a month before and also see minidiscs for the first time in my life (before only photos and videos)!

My orders: one 10 pack of Nieges and 10 pack of sonly colors, 2 hi md ( blue ones ) and one oled Hi md, Michael Jackson "thriller", Janis Joplin best of, and Jeff Beck "Who Else".

Damn i could not believe it, when i saw these, they actually look a lot better, smaller than i thought they woud. Just incredible!

High tech mixed with retro cool, they are pieces of art. I can only imagine how wonderful it is going to feel to take on out , open the md slot and put one into the little machine, i can already hear the sweet sounds it is going to make, while i slide it in and then press it close.

A pack of 10 blank discs is just this cool little cube.I hold and turn the cube between my hands and count the discs one by one through the plastic cover although i know there are 10 and i just counted them a few hours ago. if it sounds like illness, then yes you are correct sir/madam, i am totally obsessed with this format and the players and discs, and i will be doing a lot shopping in the future.

The pre recorded md also look nothing less than fantastic!

Just wow i am in it for the long term.

As i am a musician, and sound quality is important to me, i really hold my hopes up high that they truly sound high quality like many people tell:)

I'll let you know when i will get the Rh1

Denton

Welcome to the community. The sound quality will blow you away, I have no doubt.

I've been using my Sansa Clip mp3 player for a while and recently started using MD again. As I've been on a break from MD for a time the difference in sound is even more apparent. Not to say the Clip is bad but against an SP or LP2 MD it is night and day for me.

• 3 weeks later...

It'll be fun just to look at the different designs on these blank minidiscs - they're absolutely pretty! Now the pre-recorded ones, they're kind of plain by comparison, but looking at the different colors and designs will be enough to make you want to try to collect them all.

Hey PaulDenton,

Have you received your RH1 yet?

I have this unit in a few forms and love its beauty. Over the years here, on the forums, I have heard the RH1 referred to as a "mini-deck", and it is true, it is like a miniature MD deck! You will love it, just curious if you had it in your hands yet!

Hey PaulDenton,

Have you received your RH1 yet?

I have this unit in a few forms and love its beauty. Over the years here, on the forums, I have heard the RH1 referred to as a "mini-deck", and it is true, it is like a miniature MD deck! You will love it, just curious if you had it in your hands yet!

Hey man whats up?:) Thank you for showing interest, it is very nice of you ( i have been to forums where senior members do not even notice the green ones:D This place is different:)

I have currently an intense exam sessin going on at the university where i study at, right after it will end ( in the beginning of July) i will start bidding, but it might take some time since i want one that is in top condition- i have been checking out 4 different ebay sites almost daily for the past 3 month, and not a lot them tend to show up in mint condition.

Ill post a threde as soon as there is a progression in that department:)

By the way, i have really badly fallen in love with this thing of beauty. https://www.google.ee/search?q=mz-eh1&safe=off&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RHluU5WSBaqr7Abun4D4BA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

Do you own one of these yourself?

By the way, i have really badly fallen in love with this thing of beauty. https://www.google.ee/search?q=mz-eh1&safe=off&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RHluU5WSBaqr7Abun4D4BA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

Do you own one of these yourself?

The MZ-EH1 is indeed a thing of beauty and a great Hi-MD player. In my opinion it is possibly the best looking unit ever. There are quite a few pictorials if I recall in the pictorials sub-forum including my own ;)

(That also reminds me that there are quite a few pictorial threads that had the image links lost when the gallery was upgraded a few years back - we need to see if we can fix them).

Oh yes, the EH1 is an amazing looking machine. I had a chance to buy one once from another forum member a few years back but the price was just too high for me at nearly $300 if I recall. I do have one of the machines from that family, the NH1, it is very sleek but not the same svelte sleekness of the EH1!

I think you are likely correct that they do not come up for sale often as I suspect they were not manufactured in great quantities. I purchased my NH1 at a local Sony Store in the US in 2004 and I do not recall seeing the player only units there at the time.

Keep us up on your RH1 search PaulDenton!

I think you are likely correct that they do not come up for sale often as I suspect they were not manufactured in great quantities. I purchased my NH1 at a local Sony Store in the US in 2004 and I do not recall seeing the player only units there at the time.

The EH1 was only available in Japan. I can't recall what the original retail price was, but it has obviously held its value fairly well.

Ha! I might be more curious if he hadn't used the Sony stock picture along with his other photographs of the real thing.

It's beautiful but surely not worth the eventual $600+ it will go for (the starting price is $500 and this is a 6-day auction)?

Did anyone watch Salamander?

The only small weakness in the EH1 was that the print on the back of the unit can wear off quite easily over time. You can see this is starting to happen on this one on eBay (where it says HD Digital Amp).

Apart from that I always found that contrary to what you might expect from looking at it, the EH1 was actually very hard and well built.

• 4 weeks later...

OK bought myself a Rh1!!!!!!!!!!!:-D It will probably take about 2 weeks for the shippment to get here. Condition: used for about 2 hours not a single scratch on the unit but WITHOUT A REMOTE, so i need a remote now. Any suggestions? Prize was 340 euros, that is not bad considering the condition of the item.

That's great news PaulDenton!!

I think the remote from many other units will likely control at least that basic functionality of the unit. Do you intend to use the RH1 on the go where you need the remote for full functionality?

I am sure you'll be able to find a remote you can use.

Congrats, you'll love it.

That price seems very reasonable too, right around what they retailed for new.

• Like 1

Thank you sir! Yes i think i will use it one the go while being extra careful and all the time keeping it in that original bag. One of the main reasons why i want the remote is that then i do not have to overuse the silver button on the unit ( rewind or next song, do not remeber), thatis fragile as i have been told around here.

Nice PaulDenton, you are on a roll! 

That seems like another good price.

I saw that one ebay.com the other day for sale from Israel and was listed for $4999.95 US dollars.  :-)  We all decided a couple of years ago that it is either for laundering money or financing some sort of illegal activity!  It keeps coming up for sale over and over ...

Paul I wouldnt use the RH1 for actually listening to  minidiscs on the move. It is too expensive a machine fragile,rare and one of a kind for that. Get a much cheaper hi-md  portable for that. maybe Sony NH600.NH700 These take  AA batteries and at the price you can get them for expendable. & sound well enough. The main virtue of the RH1 is that it will transfer  standard minidisc to computer, a bone of contention over the years & a final swansong for Sony Minidisc

That is very weird i wrote a long answer to your post and now its gone, guess i did not press post button. In short, yes, i might buy a cheaper unit and take rh1 with me only on speical occasions, but at the same time i like that model especially because of it's looks and not because of the special features (although it is cool to have them)  and it might be hard to resist not to take it with me ( i know my gf will take hers definitely out). And one other big reasons why i like minidisc is that i do not have to use pc's anymore , i am really looking forward to recording music to minidisc's straight from cd's :) But special care will be taken for that unit , that's for sure.

Thank you for the suggestions

I think one of the players will be here within a week:P:P:P:P

A friend of mine told me about a guy selling his RH1. I told him that I was interested and that we should get in touch asap. Just found out today that he sold the unit for 150 Euros. This is an outrage!

Damn, it must feel extra bad to know that you could have gotten it for that same price!

• 3 weeks later...

Paul I wouldnt use the RH1 for actually listening to  minidiscs on the move. It is too expensive a machine fragile,rare and one of a kind for that. Get a much cheaper hi-md  portable for that. maybe Sony NH600.NH700 These take  AA batteries and at the price you can get them for expendable. & sound well enough. The main virtue of the RH1 is that it will transfer  standard minidisc to computer, a bone of contention over the years & a final swansong for Sony Minidisc

Life is short, use your RH-1 as much as you can, handle with care but don't be afraid to take it out and enjoy it. I carried mine around for 5 years always in its sony bag, carefully stashed in my carry, rocking glorious PCM through Sony EX-700 IEMs. Best 5 years of my portable audio life. I decided to move the RH-1 on and focus on original MD recently. I sold the RH-1 for a good price because of its pristine condition.

Handle with care, but USE it, it's supposed to be used and it IS a PORTABLE unit..!!

Paul, how is your RH-1? The supplied earphones are actually decent but I hope you have something even better to truly bring out its brilliance.

I agree, the RH1 is too great to be used only as an uploader ;)

Mine starts to wear off (buttons on the unit became very unprecise, almost impossible to navigate properly, and the right side of the screen is now quite dim) so I decided not to sell it finally, and to use it on the move, and it's probably my best sounding mobile music device. [troll]Even mp3 sounds good with it[/troll]

I agree, the RH1 is too great to be used only as an uploader ;)

Mine starts to wear off (buttons on the unit became very unprecise, almost impossible to navigate properly, and the right side of the screen is now quite dim) so I decided not to sell it finally, and to use it on the move, and it's probably my best sounding mobile music device. [troll]Even mp3 sounds good with it[/troll]

Great to hear. I mean people these days go to so much trouble to get their ipods/DAPs to sound good with off-board headphone amps and awkward rubber bands, whereas simply playing PCM back on an RH-1 through decent IEMs gives such incredible sound.

No need for off board amping if you have a non volume limited unit, packs plenty of power.

Why do people feel they have to use the latest technology just because it's the latest? It's so obviously gimped with all the modifications they have to make to make it sound good.

The RH-1 and all hi-end Sony audio gear is actually made by people that understand music and audio, not just industrial design and "apps" (ipod).

Why do people feel they have to use the latest technology just because it's the latest? It's so obviously gimped with all the modifications they have to make to make it sound good.

The RH-1 and all hi-end Sony audio gear is actually made by people that understand music and audio, not just industrial design and "apps" (ipod).

Well said footmobile!  I have been using my Silver RH1 just about daily for probably about five years and I love it, the sound is amazing.  I mainly use it to playback SP recorded via optical on my JA20ES.  I also playback ATRAC3plus 256k if I want to squeeze some extra on a disk.

I will say that I use it at work as well with the output set to line level to drive a small desktop analog amplifier and a couple of different high impedance pairs of headphones.  I have a $3000 USD Marantz receiver at home that does not sound as good! (purchase in 1999, probably available on eBay for $200 now ...)