Defying Expectations, Third Generation Hi-MD Unit Surfaces?

Christopher

Speculation has been rampant about a new third-generation Hi-MD unit dubbed MZ-RH1. Specifications are not definitive at this time, but various sources have cited that this would be a unit aimed solely at the live recording enthusiast. We've pieced together a few more details along with a picture..+++

The MZ-RH1 has officially debuted! Read more here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=14814

IPB Image

We'll keep an eye out, but don't expect anything official from Sony until April.

From what we've heard (but cannot confirm), there will be:

- PC/Mac compatibility akin to the MZ-M10/100.

- High Definition Digital Amp.

- Possible full USB2.0 compliance, which is somewhat impossible due to a limitation of the hardware/disc.

- The only Hi-MD recording unit that will be released this year, possibly the last ever created.

- An option to keep manual record settings ON even when the unit is off, instead of the unit automatically resorting to Automatic Gain Control (AGC) when the unit is powered off and on.

- An option to turn off auto-track mark.

- Other additions that will make live recording much more intuitive.

- Cost will hover around $275-325USD (349Euro) at debut.

- Line in, mic in, headphone out, 5mW output and 6-band EQ.

- Aluminium body.

What we can assume:

- Easy and nonrestrictive upload of any recorded tracks due to advancements in Sonicstage 3.4, which it will ship with.

- Adjustable mic sensitivity (as the levels are clearly displayed via unit).

- Ability to charge via USB, like second generation Hi-MD units.

- Ability to record in all of the new ATRAC3plus bitrates, e.g. 192kbps + 352kbps and PCM (wav)

- OLED display (clearly displayed on picture).

- Uses NiMH gumstick battery with high possibility of AA-battery addon pack for enhanced battery life.

The unit surfaced at mp3-player.de, a German e-tailer that sells various portable audio products. Thanks to indeego for the heads up.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look of that!

If it uses AA battires I am going to really try and get hold of it!

I like that! :)

Just one other question...

Does anyone know if it have a optical out?

Edit:

Ability to record in all of the new ATRAC3plus bitrates, e.g. 192kbps + 352kbps

Why do you assume this? Hi-MD could only record in Hi-SP and Hi-LP! Why would there be a jump in codecs?

Edited by danielbb90

From what I've read, the remote will be an LCD one but only with one line display :( I must say I'm kinda dissapointed with, possibly the las HI-MD unit... The RH10s display was the way to go and that remote doesn't help either... :( My N1 displays more information on the units display than this "recording friendly" MD? Small display, not a good remote... *sigh* Since when small displays sell MDs? A new 3 line display remote is necessary with this new MD.

Wow ! If it's the last Hi-MD consumer product from Sony, I'll buy it whatever the price. I will be in Japan for a year from April on so I may not have a hard time finding one. Yay !!

Plus it looks damn sexy and at least as functional for live recordings as my RH-10 (and my old MZ-R70 too ^_^ )

Erm, on another note, I don't really understand how a selling price of 349 euro can result in 275-325 USD prices. Are Hi-MD devices much cheaper in the US ?

Edited by faelnor

Where did you read that?

From here: Audio Foren Netzwerk (Thanks to indeego.)

Specifically here:

[...]

Mitgeliefertes Zubehör

* LCD-Kabelfernbedienung (1 Zeile)

* Stereo-In-Ohr-Kopfhörer

[...]

"LCD-Kabelfernbedienung" means Remote with LCD display, "1 Zeile" means one line display...

:(

The one line remote is what kills this unit IMO.

Extremely nice style however...

:)

Edited by xatax

Absolutely stunning, will make a great addition to my fleet of NH1'a, everything the RH10 should have been IMHO.

can't wait to see one in the flesh, and to read tests.

Great job all in finding this info

Bob

This looks good -- I'm sure it will sell really well --Hopefully the EU model (if there is a separate versione) won't be volume capped --especially if Sony are trying to flog this as a PRO recording device.

Optical In would be nice. Recording @352 will suit me just perfectly. I hope this machine will still PLAY legacy formats (SP and MDLP).

Shame though about no Hi-MD deck appearing since this means I'll just have to keep legacy MD's around --would be nice to have everything the same.

I'm not too bothered about a Car unit since I have the Kenwood cable which converts the MD/CD changer to an AUX line in.

Wonder what Marantz and Tascam are doing with their professional gear --I can't really see journalists etc relying on Hard Disc based gear when they are out in the field --especially in hot humid places.

As for the remote --why not use the remote that comes with the NH1 --this works brilliantly on my RH10 and probably will work on this device as well.

With a decent screen you might not need a large remote anyway.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

The one line remote is what kills this unit IMO.

I doubt this is any worry as the rh10 came with a one-line remote and most of us plugged in our three-liner without a problem. Just gonna have to add the stock remote to the box with the other remotes that came with hi-md devices.

I have been reaching the personal conclusion with all the speculation about a new unit that MD really only excels as a field recording unit. It just doesn't hold up as a personal music player in my humble opinion. The ability to put tracks on it is a nice benefit for me. If this is the last unit and it is aimed at recording I wish they would allow PCM recording at 48kHz and 24 bit. Then it REALLY would be one of the best (if not the best) option for field recording. Recording in new ATRAC bitrates is promising. If it does remember manual vol. that's great, I hope it is functional without a remote if there is indeed a single line remote, we'll see.

As it is I'm not sure it will be worth replacing my NH-1. MD remains one of the best pro-sumer recorders because of removeable media and improved PC interface. It's too bad Sony couldn't really put out a stellar unit, they always leave something to desire.

_Scott

It does have OPTICAL IN according to the German site

Anschlüsse (Connections)

3,5 mm Kopfhörerausgang (headphone Out)

3,5 mm Line-in (line in --self explanatory)

3,5 mm Mikro-in (Mike in)

3,5 mm Digital-in (Digital in ---optical)

USB 2.0 Schnittstelle (USB2 --partly --suppose this depends on what speed they can force a disk write --this might not be too much of a problem if the hardware has an internal buffer / cache You won't get true USB connectivity --but it should be faster than USB 1.1)

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

I doubt this is any worry as the rh10 came with a one-line remote and most of us plugged in our three-liner without a problem. Just gonna have to add the stock remote to the box with the other remotes that came with hi-md devices.

Hehe, most of us don't have a three line remote ;) They are pretty hard to get and extremely expensive. Remember the RH10 already comes with a 6 line display...! That's not an excuse. Maybe you can send me one of your remotes, just search for a nice one in your box of stock ones... :rolleyes:

Edited by xatax

Hehe, most of us d on't have a three line remote ;) They are pretty hard to get and extremely expensive. Remember the RH10 already comes with a 6 line display...! That's not an excuse. Maybe you can send me one of your remotes, just search for a nice one in your box of stock ones... :rolleyes:

Mine came with a NH1 But I can't imagin it needing one unless it comes with one!

Wow ! If it's the last Hi-MD consumer product from Sony, I'll buy it whatever the price. I will be in Japan for a year from April on so I may not have a hard time finding one. Yay !!

Plus it looks damn sexy and at least as functional for live recordings as my RH-10 (and my old MZ-R70 too ^_^ )

Erm, on another note, I don't really understand how a selling price of 349 euro can result in 275-325 USD prices. Are Hi-MD devices much cheaper in the US ?

In the USA prices are always shown EXCLUSIVE of state / city / federal taxes which often gives a false indication of the relative prices over there by as much as 15%.

Say the equipment costs 300 USD -- you'll have to add probably another 30 - 40 USD to the price. This actually compares reasonably with Europe where VAT/ TVA/BTW/MWT etc ranges at around 15% to a mind boggling 22% in some countries (at least not in the UK --Yet).

Sony aren't responsible for the Tax regimes in different countries --we blame Sony for a lot of things but we can't saddle them with this problem.

If you think the tax rate is too high in your particular country GO OUT AND VOTE at the next election --that's the only thing politicians worry about (apart from their fat salaries and pensions) is keeping their seats.

Anyway from preliminary sneak previews --nice one

Cheers

--K

Edited by 1kyle

Translated with Babel Fish Translation from - http://www.mp3-player.de/artikel.php ArtNr=3057

Sony MZ-RH1

Color: black

Delivery time: starting from June 2006

Newest ultra kom pack rear MD Player of the top class

digital amplifier for outstanding sound

USB 2,0 High speed

Mac compatibly (Upload of own photographs possible)

Full metal housing from aluminum

Direct MP3- & ATRAC rendition

Further features

OLED display with clock

6fach Equaliser

DPC: variable rendition speed

Akkuladung over USB cables possible

various editing functions

adjustable microphone sensitivity

Can be used as removable data carriers (AROUND)

ID3-Tag support

Memory of PC data (* jpg, * doc, * pdf, etc..)

unkomprimierte admission in original CD quality possible

Transformation of ATRAC in WAV format for unrestricted use on PC and Mac

Place for 45 CD's on a 1GB rear MD disk (with Atrac3Plus compression)

Connections

3.5 mm headphone exit

3.5 mm LINE in

3.5 mm micro in

3.5 mm of digital-in

USB 2,0 interface

Provided accessories

LCD Kabelfernbedienung (1 line)

Stereo in ear headphone

USB cable

opt. Digital cable

Flachakku

Power pack

external battery box

Bag

Installation software (SonicStage 3,4/MD simple Burner 2,0)

This player looks *really* nice, in my view. I'm in line. If this is it, the last Hi-MD (MD?), it's going out with style. I would say at this point give 'em what they want -- on the fly manual record levels, date stamp, 15mw per channel -- just do it!

Paul

lol looking at the members looking at this... 6 colored ones and 6 regular members (including myself)!

Hmm.. could one of the 23 guests be sony?

Hmm.....

Anywho, i sure hope that this isnt the only one. Sony has a reputation of holding back info religiously, so i think that theres gotta be a minidisc player that would compete with the ipod (their GUID is pretty crazy awesome this past year!). I thing that i hope for is the drag and drop onto the disk for songs!

Flachakku

Oh boy! I always wanted a Flachakku.

That side display on a black unit is nice and stealthy.

Looks like the emphasis is still on sleek rather than practical--guaranteed anyone who's doing extensive PCM recording is going to have to put on the "external battery box" anyway. What am I bet that the USB cable and battery are proprietary too?

But yeah, I want one.

Edited by A440

I'm all over this like a fat kid on a cupcake... Now the debate becomes do I sell my RH10 for it. I don't know if I can make use of 3 recorders (NH1, RH10, RH1) especially when the RH1 is the cream of the crop.

If i would have those i would never sell ..I keep my old things for memories :rolleyes:

Edited by stuge

Though I am mad at SONY, I must admit that is really a farewel with grace. I still dont want to believe that this will be the last of the MD's. I remember now the firs MZR1 that I had seen on a shopping window. Another pity: With HiMD the format had been matured. I dont understand why Sony cared for more R&D for a format to be buried. I think HiMD will still have a great place as a seperate deck in a HIFI system. We still need a component to replace cassette decks. MD was serving for this, and still can. No one uses DVDRW's for recording and erasing music. They are mainly for video, and no portability.

Think twice SONY! I will go on buying any MD you release. I beg you, dont leave us orphans. I wasnt that mad when you buried DAT, but MD is different. It still have much chance to go on.

I like the location of the display on top side of unit. You can just look down the top of your pocket to see line level adjustments. I might consider this an advantage even over a larger display. I hope it has a battery case that mounts opposite end of the display.

One gripe about the RH-910 I have is the location of the sidecar battery case.

Can't be "the last" unit surely? I mean Sony have just gone through a massive re-structure because they were in doo-doo, so why spend more on a format that they are going to drop? Mind you, would explain how they got into trouble in the first place...

Maybe this is like that DAT recorder - they'll probably make the same model for about 10 years then drop it along with the format. If that really was they're thinking they deserve to go under...

Build a DECK Sony you bacca!!!

Edited by MDGB2

I like the location of the display on top side of unit. You can just look down the top of your pocket to see line level adjustments.

That's *exactly* what I thought!

This player is going to be killer.

Paul

I think this new unit is gorgeous and I'm done speculating about the demise of MD. It seems for the last several years or so that the subject continues to rear it's head and yet Sony continues to manufacture MD and honestly, it just seems to keep getting better.

I think, with an end to DAT HI-MD has a better chance than ever of survival.

With this particular model I would like it to be able to record optical/line in in legacy formats SP, LP2 & LP4. Although that is highly doubtful based on 2nd gen units limitation to record live in legacy it is my wish that I will be able to at the very least playback my old legacy discs on this unit. Anyone care to speculate on this?

With this particular model I would like it to be able to record optical/line in in legacy formats SP, LP2 & LP4. Although that is highly doubtful based on 2nd gen units limitation to record live in legacy it is my wish that I will be able to at the very least playback my old legacy discs on this unit. Anyone care to speculate on this?

Errm, if the unit can record in all the new atrac bitrates, isn't this kinda covered?

:blink:

Though I am mad at SONY, I must admit that is really a farewel with grace. I still dont want to believe that this will be the last of the MD's. I remember now the firs MZR1 that I had seen on a shopping window. Another pity: With HiMD the format had been matured. I dont understand why Sony cared for more R&D for a format to be buried. I think HiMD will still have a great place as a seperate deck in a HIFI system. We still need a component to replace cassette decks. MD was serving for this, and still can. No one uses DVDRW's for recording and erasing music. They are mainly for video, and no portability.

Think twice SONY! I will go on buying any MD you release. I beg you, dont leave us orphans. I wasnt that mad when you buried DAT, but MD is different. It still have much chance to go on.

totally agree. himd deck AND HIMD CAR UNIT,SONY!!!