Hi-MD, Bye-MD?

Christopher

I read sept 30th is the date for Sony to give more details!

To think I could have bought a few 600 units for 99 bucks a few months ago!

Lets keep our fingers crossed,long live the MD!

Chilenos in this forum???Caramba! saludos desde Australia! B)

If consumer level md is nixxed (sp?) my guess for what Sony will pursue is sd players. Like md, you can exchange sd cards but unlike md, you can exchange your cards with your phone to facilitate downloading from online music services and sd is interchangeable between multiple devices; cell phone, digital cameras, voice recorders, and pda's. Using an sd card reader, you can exchange info with a computer.

I know that Minidisc never took off big in the US, and that Sony could discontiue the format and not support it at all here and you wouldn't hear that much about it (except from us), but aren't there millions of minidisc users in Japan? And isn't that Sony's most important market? I have difficulty believing that they are going to dump the whole thing right away without some kind of support. Perhaps some of our members who live in Japan could comment. Is the minidisc entrenched enough in that market to make it difficult for Sony to just dump it? Will everyone there really just jump on the HD bandwagon?

The point is that it would seem foolish (and yes, I know that we are talking about Sony) to not provide players/recorders and discs for some time to come, even if they don't put any more development money into the minidisc format. I hope.

Also, what's the deveopment cycle like at Sony? How far ahead is their product design? Are there already some prototype 3rd generation Hi-MD recorders?

Are the plants that are manufacturing the current Hi-MD stuff the plants that are going off line? How much of the process do they outsource? There are a thousand other manufacturing issues that could influence this decision one way or the other.

And maybe Sony will still make Hi-MD stuff for the professional crowd. And maybe they will sell the technology to someone, though it seems like that would be difficult if there are a lot of third party patents involved. I guess that we will know Friday, right?

Man oh man, I was really getting jazzed up about those mythical 4-5GB discs.

Decided to check out, what is to found on other manufacturers websites in regard of minidisc products.

Looks like, Standard-MD will stay for quite a time - atleast in Japan.

JVCs line up is still impressive... :

Portable:

http://www.victor.co.jp/audio_w/product/portable/index.html

Home:

http://www.victor.co.jp/audio_w/product/system/index.html

Onkyo has still two Standard-MD-Decks ( and 3 Hi-MD ) :

http://www2.onkyo.com/jp/product/products....)&SearchOrder=4

Plus a bunch of Bookshelfs:

http://www2.onkyo.com/jp/product/products....D?open&count=15

Panasonic and Kenwood still have some as well.

And Denon has some new ones:

http://denon.jp/company/release/dmg33_35.html

Plus a giant installed user base, so as long as mail order from Japan works, discs would be no problem and recorders too, I think.

Decided to check out, what is to found on other manufacturers websites in regard of minidisc products.

Looks like, Standard-MD will stay for quite a time - atleast in Japan.

JVCs line up is still impressive... :

Portable:

http://www.victor.co.jp/audio_w/product/portable/index.html

Home:

http://www.victor.co.jp/audio_w/product/system/index.html

Onkyo has still two Standard-MD-Decks ( and 3 Hi-MD ) :

http://www2.onkyo.com/jp/product/products....)&SearchOrder=4

Plus a bunch of Bookshelfs:

http://www2.onkyo.com/jp/product/products....D?open&count=15

Panasonic and Kenwood still have some as well.

And Denon has some new ones:

http://denon.jp/company/release/dmg33_35.html

Plus a giant installed user base, so as long as mail order from Japan works, discs would be no problem and recorders too, I think.

I guess it is still a dream that I have for so long that someday everyone in the US will convert to minidisc.

It would be cool if there is such thing as mandatory format conversion. Hypethetically, trade your cassette recorder for a minidisc player and get a discount. I know that this don't make sense but what else make sense anymore?

Wohoo, where do you live? In stoneage? No radio station in the world uses cart machines or Md units for jingles or adverts. It's all about Musicam or Mp2, all packed to together in one big database system. MD units are only used by reporters.

I've seen them used in Radio stations. Not recently, but I have seen them used. You see the equipment for sale on various sites. Probably obsolete now.

If they made it very cheap, about the price of a 512mb Flash player, and had a sexy looking unit, with all the features in one. Line in/Mic, Line out, FM reciever, recording, with perhaps more recoding features, like a timer and more editing functionality, MP3 stupport. Then it might sell. To be honest I don't see whay Sony, don't put all the HiMD features into a single HD unit.

I only have a HiMD for analog recording, and the unit was cheaper than a HD alternative from iRiver or Cowon.

Well there is a Sony Strategy meeting in New York on 30 September by Howard Stringer. Maybe it is a continuation of last week's strategy meeting, but will contain more tangible product details than last week's announcement.

I wish my job was so important that people were talking about my daily meeting schedule in an international forum. ^_^

i bet apple's figured it out already before sony that the MD's a recorders market and not the same as ipod. if sony drops the MD, they're opening the door for apple to just add a recording feature onto the ipod and then it's bye bye rest of the market share for sony. that would be so wrong, and yet despite being a loyal MD user since '97, i'm so frustrated with sony being so out of touch with the MD community that i want to say they deserve it. i feel like my relationship with the MD is like a marriage full of ups and downs. you love it so but you hate the in-laws. now with sony chasing a piece of the ipod pie, i feel like it's having an affair behind my back.

damn you sony! why do you make it so hard for us to love you *raging fists*

If they made it very cheap, about the price of a 512mb Flash player, and had a sexy looking unit, with all the features in one. Line in/Mic, Line out, FM reciever, recording, with perhaps more recoding features, like a timer and more editing functionality, MP3 stupport. Then it might sell. To be honest I don't see whay Sony, don't put all the HiMD features into a single HD unit.

They would lose a hundred dollars for each unit...

To be honest I don't see whay Sony, don't put all the HiMD features into a single HD unit.

Because believe it or not, not everyone wants all of the features and sometimes it's not practical. There are still people who want player only units and don't necessarily need recording capabilities preferring stylish slimline units that wouldn't be possible if you tried to cram a load of other features in. The NH1 admittedly has the best of both worlds, but when the 1st gen HD came out maybe not everyone could afford such a top-end model.

Edited by richyhu

Hey,

I really would not worry about the MD format. I checked out Sony Australia ... if you search the web site MD Decks blank media is still available for sale. The portable units have been removed . Sony UK still has portable units for sale . I think the product model line is going to be thinned out ... not eliminated. Expect higher quality products from Sony.

I just received an exchanded MZ- nf510D from Sony ... did some research on this model refurbished units are on closeout $76.00 at Sony style web site. It ocurred to me Sony's quality is lack luster if they offer an exchange program , offer units as closeout items on there web site and seem to pack the Sony retail outlets with these MD units .

So compounded by the competition from Apple Ipod and a lack of product quality ... seems to be Sony's problem . First fix the quality issue with products that offer a percieved benefit over the competition.

MD have a perceived value benefit over Apple . Expandable , Standard battery size , recordable , etc.

The quality of customer service has already been inplemented .... excellent customer service from the Texas exchange center .

For what it's worth, I asked Sony Belgium, that if they would discontinue Hi-MD, that they would make at least a good memory-based recorder or something similar...

This is their answer.

----

<cut>

Product : MZNH700

Hi-MD is not going to be discontinued. At the end of the year a new program

will replace Sonicstage.

Kind regards,

The Sony Info Team

27/09/2005

<cut>

----

@fishstyc: That sounds positive. Thanks for the info.

My gut feeling is, that certain markets are no longer supplied with all products,

because keeping up the service and sales infrastructure is simply too expensive

in relation to the number of units sold.

And that could be the reason, why Australia doesn't get any new MD-units.

Remember, Australia is, despite it's geographical size, not bigger than Belgium and the Netherlands together.

Here in Europe, In an area of the same size of Australia, we have more than 200 Million people.

And that put things in perspective.

I guess, we will see some streamlining along this way,

expect regional representations to be downsized,

service operations being outsourced, etc.

Speaking of availability of Discs, I'm not worried about that,

as Sony still sells U-Matic cassettes.

Yes, the video format of the 70's, that was already on the way out before most of the members here were born.

That kind of commitment should be positively noted.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading all the posts on this thread, and (unless I'm mistaken) there's one fundamental point about the difference between MD and MP3 technology that hasn't been mentioned: not everyone has an interest (or 100% interest) in recording their music collection via a computer.

There are still some people (such as myself) who are relatively happy to rely solely on hi-fi technology to record MDs. I'm sorry, but I use my computer enough as it is for many other things - I'm sure most people would prefer not to feel constantly chained to their computer, especially to manage their personal music recordings. This recording flexibility is a significant strength of the MD that would lead me to conclude that Sony won't be dropping it.

Also, it's still a superior alternative to the cassette format (though I'm still miffed as to why all the latest Sony hi-fis have cassette decks instead of MD decks - digital radio? check... CD player with MP3 readability? Check... analogue cassette deck? Chec... eh?!

But then again, Sony haven't always been the greatest of decision makers...

And that could be the reason, why Australia doesn't get any new MD-units.
Don't they? All four 2. Gen models are listed on sony.at, and in Germany we stick with the productpages of Gen. 1 units .. -_-

I agree with the rest of your post and I hope we in Germany don't have to import 3 Gen. units :mellow:

Don't they? All four 2. Gen models are listed on sony.at, and in Germany we stick with the productpages of Gen. 1 units .. -_-

I agree with the rest of your post and I hope we in Germany don't have to import 3 Gen. units :mellow:

Sony.at is Austria isn't it. Sony.au is Australia.

Now if only Sony HQ would send the Austrian supplies down here.

Actually I can't understand why they don't make the JE Tourist models available in all Countries. Sony claims they should work everywhere and the warranties/service available world wide.

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/tourist/mdwalkm...&ST=3&VC=1&LG=1

Surely that would simplify their production lines and avoid the silliness of the NH600 & NH710 models which also appear as Download only models in some countries.

Edited by bogon07

Very strange, but the page for Belgium lists all 1st. gen and all 2nd gen. units.

The dutch site lists the memorycardreader instead.

But all pages come from the same webserver.

Something is seriously wrong here.

Looks like someone at Sony Europe needs a firm kick in the butt for that chaos.

It couldn't be that hard to offer all units in all european countries.

The distances here in Europe aren't that big.

And the dysfunctional SonyStyle-Shop is another topic. ( Opera 8.50 )

I've been reading all the posts on this thread, and (unless I'm mistaken) there's one fundamental point about the difference between MD and MP3 technology that hasn't been mentioned: not everyone has an interest (or 100% interest) in recording their music collection via a computer.

Spot on! Hence why MD is so popular in Japan. For such a technologically advanced society it's (initially) surprising to find out how few people actually own a computer. That is, until you see a typical Japanese shoebo- erm, apartment. Where the hell are you going to put a desk, chair, PC and monitor/keyboard/mouse in a Japanese apartment. That's also one of the reasons why so many stereos

come out with CD/MD players with direct copy. Optical-in = much happiness :P

But then again, Sony haven't always been the greatest of decision makers...

Damn right. the next time I hear Ken Kutaragi (SCEE) say "photorealistic graphics"... Fire his ass!

P.S. Ken, the PS3 does not have photorealistic graphics. Neither will the PS4, or 5. Give it at least 15 years.

Edited by PCManiac

Well I hope its not a black friday :o . went to jb,bondy junction yesterday and bought 20 discs(1giga ones)to supply myself for a while :D . i'm gona show my age here but yes i was there in the Betamax era and I'm getting deja vu feelings here...

When I think about it Sony would be unethical to dump the HIMD since it is such a new technology. I mean I only bought mine last december,I know things can change fast but this is insane!

I also think Sony would be stupid to try and compete with apple on the mp3 market alone,they already lost that battle! plus there are so many mp3 players now! in my mind the HIMD gives them an edge, but who I'm I to know I backed them on the Betamax battle and we all know what happened :o .

So I'm staying right out of the DVD recorder thin until they sort it out( or my vhs goes).

You guys and gals are a great comfort to me, knowing that I'm not alone as I wait to see what happens!

"Yes, the video format of the 70's, that was already on the way out before most of the members here were born". Well I wish i was that lucky!!!

Let us all pray together ;)

So I'm staying right out of the DVD recorder thin until they sort it out( or my vhs goes).

Just buy a TV tuner card and DVD burner for your PC. Should be less than AU$200 compared to the ridiculous prices for HD/DVD recorders/PVR's over here (chepest I saw was AU$699).

Just buy a TV tuner card and DVD burner for your PC. Should be less than AU$200 compared to the ridiculous prices for HD/DVD recorders/PVR's over here (chepest I saw was AU$699).

Great Idea PCManiac, thanks, I was wondering what to do about the DVD recording issue B)

Damn right. the next time I hear Ken Kutaragi (SCEE) say "photorealistic graphics"... Fire his ass!

P.S. Ken, the PS3 does not have photorealistic graphics. Neither will the PS4, or 5. Give it at least 15 years.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm still waiting to see the Toy Story-like graphics he promised with the PS2. He must me inhaling fumes from the PS2 and PSP manufacturing process. :P

They would lose a hundred dollars for each unit...

Because believe it or not, not everyone wants all of the features and sometimes it's not practical. There are still people who want player only units and don't necessarily need recording capabilities preferring stylish slimline units that wouldn't be possible if you tried to cram a load of other features in. The NH1 admittedly has the best of both worlds, but when the 1st gen HD came out maybe not everyone could afford such a top-end model.

Yea ,

It does not make logical sense to discontinue a technology which has evolved for 10 plus years . MD is such a flexable format that technology such as flash memory , and even HD music players have a limited product life .

No point selling a product that doesn't make a profit. It also costs a lot to product 6 or 7 different models, and it doesn't make sense to have all those different model if 90% of all your sales are just oen or two of those models, and its the ones with the most features. There was a poll on this forum recently and (going from memory so I could be wrong) the most popular models where the RH10, NH1 and NH900. Usually the most stylish slimline models are the high end models. Perhaps the Japanese market is different. But I would reckon that the player only (non recording) models are a poor selling item.

I don't really agree with, not using a computer and using seperate disk is more reliable and space saving. I use a laptop, have two external HD for backup. Probably fits into a smaller space than all my MD gear and Disks. In both scenerios you still have you CD's for backup, and any sane person would put their most treasured recordings onto a CD or DVD as a backup. Personally I got fed up of all the disks and swapping them. So thats why I have two HD's.

I like MD, I have 2xMD and 1xHiMD and a whole bunch of disks. But I also have MP3 players, flash and HD based. While I'll conceed that whats right for one person might not be right for another. You have to conceed that the MP3 and DAP (Digital Audio Players) are a much bigger market than MD will ever be. Primarily because its a better player methodology than MD's. The major of people want a player not a recording device. We're all waiting for someone to make a decent (size quality, capacity) digital recorder, with the same feature set of a MD recorder. Can't be far away.

The Japanese market is obviously different. It would be interesting to hear some more discussion on how that market is different, in that MD is so popular over there, and how the MD market compares to the DAP market.

BTW I realise that a MD or a CD is a DAP aswell, but its easier to describe HD and Flash based players as DAP.

Edited by Sparky191

Been a huge fan of MD since it's launch, watched progess cloesly, but couldn't afford one for quite some time. I hate hearing people say "Oh yeah, that was supposed to replace the cd" - It should've been marketed better toward audio tape users. The size & shape of the Prerecorded Cases give's a hint at what they were aiming to replace. I just wish Sony had looked into MP3 compatability way back when they developed NetMD, I guess they are their own worst enemy with too many fingers in too many pies. Here's hoping for something positive :)

Hi everyone,

I think most people have no problems with computers and music working together. Certainly the sort of person to get into an obscure digital music format is generally going to be the sort of person who accepts that computers are now a part of our daily life.

And it goes without saying, MDs are basically computers, with an LCD screen and a menuing system all of their own, along with computerized guts. Maybe a CD you can forget that it's all digital, but MDs are a little too tech-ish for that.