Most wanted feature for gen. 4

Rate this topic

Top Cat

What you'd like?  

1. 1. Most wanted feature:

• Forsaking auto-trackmarking
    • Internal AA, possibly with an extra AA in a side-car
    • 352 kbps Atrac3+ recording on-unit (5h45m per disc)
    • Lossless compression on-unit (2-3 hrs of PCM stereo per disc)
    • Mono recording in PCM & Hi-SP
    • Recording in legacy SP on 1GB discs
    • Drag-n-drop! with no special software!
    • 2nd large display on unit's lid (possibly LCD with backlit)
    • More knobs for direct function access, less menus
    • Cross-fade for playback
    • Car unit
    • Home deck with optical out & built-in HDD
    • Leave everything "as is" but cut prices for media & gear by 33%

Large display with jog dial.

How could I guess that was gonna come from you? ;)

We need Sony to ditch the DRM rubbish and make omg/oma files free from it so we can drag and drop them. Put them in folders maybe, but allow the play to create itself a ID3 type database for quick access (lets call it a titling tag database).

Sony can there release SonicStage as a pure encoding tool or Sony could develop drivers so it will encode on the file when you drag and drop to the bitrate you wish within the windows explorer.

Himd car unit.Himd car unit.Himd car unit.

Because I've Onkyo deck. But I would buy a deck with features that lacks on the Onkyo(ES or QS type with optical and phone out, current pulse CNA and ...MP3 playback). Third would be lossless playback.

Imagine you've got only one wish. But a big one. What'd that be?

Let's help Sony decide which way to go after RH-1 :)

Unfortunately, you didn't provide the following features:

- Clear playback of MP3 and WMA.

- More BASS response (megabass, x-bass, bass boost feature)

- More volume power

I believe these are the most important features.

If Sharp came out with a Hi-MD comparable to the R-H1 then I'd probaby buy one in a heart beat. I like my old Sharp one that only would record in SP. It has more bass than any Sony player that I have/had even CD players.

Also I think what would be even cooler is if they opened up the format for any company to make an MD player any way they want, kind of like a CD/MP3 player. Like making it drag and drop or adding Ogg or Flac support (my favorite formats) or any other feature they want. I think that would help the sell MD's. :P

My wish is for Sony USA to stop acting like a bunch of racists, and release US HiMD units unmodified from the JP version, including the ELK remotes. Sony USA needs to accept reality that kanji is not the source of all evil.

As for the list, I voted for a car unit. It's too long overdue, and even more desirable since Sony couldn't care less in supporting seamless/gapless in AtracCD car decks.

Edited by pata2001

One other thing that would be nice is Firmware Updates. Or even better yet, open source firmwire updates! But I know that won't ever happen with Sony. That way when a new version of Atrac comes out they can update the firmware without needing to buy a whole new MD player. Or even add new features to your MD player, like Ogg support :rolleyes:.

Which made me think, I wonder if Atrac4 will ever come out. They should include a way to record in Atrac Lossless.

But now I'm just rambling on. :wacko:

Edited by bobthegoat2001

Unfortunately, you didn't provide the following features:

- Clear playback of MP3 and WMA.

- More BASS response (megabass, x-bass, bass boost feature)

- More volume power

I believe these are the most important features.

Well, you could choose some "playback" option in the vote, like "Cross-fade". I really should list all these features in that option, but the vote isn't editable :)

Wow this thread is kinda funny. Doesn't anyone realize that the RH-1 is the final send-off? With MD's now gone from every major retailer in America, they aren't coming back. The stores tried, and kept MD for years...and it didn't move. More people buy Memorex mini cd-r's (for what purpose I have no clue) than blank minidiscs.

Why else would Sony provide a way to upload legacy MD recordings? Further yet, why would you WANT to upload legacy recordings? What's wrong with PLAYING the discs as they are??? A format will not survive if its loyal users ABANDON it by uploading the discs' contents only to play that music on a computer or transfer it to a CD. Sony's final allowance to upload legacy discs is their way of allowing the MD customers to move on, get their music off their old obsolete discs, transfer the music to CD's or their Ipod, and be done with it. I'm not saying uploading legacy discs is a bad thing, but for all the fake supporters of MD using it only to transfer and play their music using another media while incorrectly claiming their allegiance to MD is one of the reasons this format is dead. Sony knows this; hence the big send-off. Why would they keep pursuing a format that most users here gleefully praise the final unit (RH-1) because of its ability to transfer music to another format?????? Most people here are HAPPIEST about the upload ability of the RH-1...and for what??? So they DON'T have to play their legacy discs anymore???? Isn't that the TRUE love of MD...actually PLAYING THEM????? Never in a million years would I be so happy with a new player because I could finally NOT listen to my old discs the way they were originally recorded!

Its kinda like buying a new V8 400hp car and being all excited about it and claiming your love and devotion to it because it drives you to the corner...only to get out and catch the bus with everyone else!!!!!

I just don't get it.

Isn't that the TRUE love of MD...actually PLAYING THEM????? Never in a million years would I be so happy with a new player because I could finally NOT listen to my old discs the way they were originally recorded!

I'm sorry to upset you, you wrote so much about the single subject... But the point is - live recordings do not always sound very good in original.

Sure I love to listen to a fresh capture on my way home, but I prefer to NR & to EQ it for more enjoyment.

Just realize that people might be happy of legacy recordings upload capability because it becomes affordable for them to master their precious recordings at last. And may be DUPLICATE their recordings for friends or even for SALE! Yeah...

Why else would Sony provide a way to upload legacy MD recordings? Further yet, why would you WANT to upload legacy recordings?

I can't speak for anyone else, but one of the main reasons for me buying the RH1 was to get the music off several legacy discs, complete with titles and in faster-than-real-time, and get them all onto just one Hi-MD disc.

I'm not planning on abandoning the format, in fact I'll also be buying Sony's new Hi-MD deck just as soon as they get round to building it. :D

Edited by Hungerdunger

I can't speak for anyone else, but one of the main reasons for me buying the RH1 was to get the music off several legacy discs, complete with titles and in faster-than-real-time, and get them all onto just one Hi-MD disc.

I'm not planning on abandoning the format, in fact I'll also be buying Sony's new Hi-MD deck just as soon as they get round to building it. :D

Also, people recording using older legacy/MDLP units (like we have at our radio studios), I can now record my shows using MD and upload it straight after show when I get home with my RH1 :).

Edited by Tunster

Do you really think sony cares what we say?. I'm sure they haven't visited this forum ever.

:(

don't worry dogville...they DO! a bit of proof...

- some of our contact within Sony have confirmed this

- why would the RH1 have almost all the features we have been asking for for so long (legacy uploading, remembering rec-settings, line-out (back after missing from 2nd gen), HD-dig amp, timestamp, ...) some of these are obvious from an engineer's point of view (but why weren't they available before?) but other really have been asked by this group of interested users...

Sony has listened for once... that's why the RH1 is such a great device :lol:

I am not so sure. You might be jumping to conclussions, here. However, in favor of your line of thought I will post this:

" But to MiniDisc users who congregate at www.minidisc.org, the absence of a high-speed digital output directly to the PC has long been the MiniDisc's unforgivable flaw. Eric Woudenberg, a New York software engineer who runs the site, even started an online petition two years ago urging Sony to supply that last link in the MiniDisc's evolution. More than 2,100 users signed it...

Sony clearly heard the complaints...

...Rachel Branch, a Sony spokeswoman, would not quite say that the company was responding to pressure from users. But she said the company had heard them. 'We knew what people wanted,' she said.

...while the Hi-MD unit plays discs in the existing MiniDisc format without a problem, it will not upload them to a computer over its new U.S.B. link. So the tens of thousands of discs that MiniDisc owners have already recorded will not yet get the Hi-MD high-speed digital upload treatment.

'Maybe that's the next petition,' Mr. Woudenberg said...."

From: (In a Nod to Niche Users, Sony Rethinks the MiniDisc BY IVER PETERSON of the New York Times June 17, 2004)http://www.minidisc.org/keep/nyt_sony_rethink_md.htm

So, what people wanted two years ago is a reality today. Maybe they are listening. Not to mention when the NH1 came out people also complained about the one line screen and then the RH10 with a nice big screen came out! However, people complained about the scratchablity and the plastic of the unit and now we have the RH1 with a full metal body. So, maybe you are right, but then again nobody asked for that cheap, tacky looking chrom they used to put on their units. Oh, I hate chrom and I hope we do not need to see another plastic/chrom unit, again!

Okay bye for now,

Mikami

- some of our contact within Sony have confirmed this

- why would the RH1 have almost all the features we have been asking for for so long (legacy uploading, remembering rec-settings, line-out (back after missing from 2nd gen), HD-dig amp, timestamp, ...) some of these are obvious from an engineer's point of view (but why weren't they available before?) but other really have been asked by this group of interested users...

To counter this:

1. Why didn't we get the uploading feature SOONER? It's been a complaint ever since NetMD was released.

2. Why aren't there any decks? It's also been one of the most desired device from the enthusiasts.

3. Why are we still using Sonicstage? Sure, it's been a great improvement since OpenMG jukebox, but if Sony even read major reviews from magazines/newspaper, most of the complaint would be on Sonicstage.

IMO, the RH1 has many great features because Sony would probably not invest any longer in the HiMD/MD technology. Look at how they scrutinize the DRM on early MD and NetMD, Memory stick (Magicgate), SACD, then UMD and later bluray. The only reason I could think of that Sony relaxed many of its previous restriction on MD/HiMD would be that they are going to abandon it. We won't see the Sony we hope for until it cuts off the music/movie industry arm.

Wonder why people want so much "drag and drop".

sonicstage is now a good software with no DRM. The only point is to allow playing new formats on the unit: lossless, aac, ogg vorbis, mpc...

And this has nothing to do with drag and drop or no.

Personnally, a car unit is what I need to fully enjoy my music on MD.

Drag-n-drop! with no special software!

-and make Minidisc compatible with WindowsMediaPlayer

* A colour display like the DH10P.

* Able to use AA batteries if not then provide a portable charger for the batteries.

* Jog dial.

* metal body

Wow this thread is kinda funny. Doesn't anyone realize that the RH-1 is the final send-off? With MD's now gone from every major retailer in America, they aren't coming back. The stores tried, and kept MD for years...and it didn't move. More people buy Memorex mini cd-r's (for what purpose I have no clue) than blank minidiscs.

Why else would Sony provide a way to upload legacy MD recordings? Further yet, why would you WANT to upload legacy recordings? What's wrong with PLAYING the discs as they are??? A format will not survive if its loyal users ABANDON it by uploading the discs' contents only to play that music on a computer or transfer it to a CD. Sony's final allowance to upload legacy discs is their way of allowing the MD customers to move on, get their music off their old obsolete discs, transfer the music to CD's or their Ipod, and be done with it. I'm not saying uploading legacy discs is a bad thing, but for all the fake supporters of MD using it only to transfer and play their music using another media while incorrectly claiming their allegiance to MD is one of the reasons this format is dead. Sony knows this; hence the big send-off. Why would they keep pursuing a format that most users here gleefully praise the final unit (RH-1) because of its ability to transfer music to another format?????? Most people here are HAPPIEST about the upload ability of the RH-1...and for what??? So they DON'T have to play their legacy discs anymore???? Isn't that the TRUE love of MD...actually PLAYING THEM????? Never in a million years would I be so happy with a new player because I could finally NOT listen to my old discs the way they were originally recorded!

Its kinda like buying a new V8 400hp car and being all excited about it and claiming your love and devotion to it because it drives you to the corner...only to get out and catch the bus with everyone else!!!!!

I just don't get it.

ROFLMAO! AMAZING! He speaks the truth purified.

Drag and drop, have we thourght about the ability to even do this?

To make it play atrac3(plus) files you have to have software!!!

Unless your talking aobut .mp3 files,

that ones possable and would be kinda usefull - But Hi-MD isn't a MP3 Player!!!

Don't turn it into one!

Drag & drop would be nice, but I don't think it will happen. At least improve SonicStage reliability so that it doesn't trash your media (no reasons to have it write enabled during upload).

Lossless recording would be nice too, however 352k could be easier to have (it's already there via SonicStage).

I like the flat gumstick, but the external side-car should come back !

homedeck.

I'm not at all concerned with an internal HDD or optical out; just want a standard-sized home deck to fit in with my other components.

Umwoofwoof, a reasonable sounding argument you made...

if you don't need optical out (I think phone out would be cool too), I think you should have a look at the Onkyo's. I've got the MD-133 model, it's good sound and estetic.

Sony relaxed many of its previous restriction on MD/HiMD would be that they are going to abandon it.

Almost, no one continues to manufacture a product that does not continue to bring in profits for them. For example Sharp , Victor, and Kenwood have stoped making MD units for the west, but they make and sale their units in Japan. Minidisc is still made here, because it people still buy it here. MO's are also still made and sold in Japan, but not in the west. I could see why Sony might not want to make MD units for the west anymore, but I still thing they will want to make them for Japan. As recent as last November Sony released as HI-MD player only unit for Japan, only. Why? Because they thought they would make some money in the Japan market and they knew those outside of Japan would jsut say "whats the point of that?". "I thought MD was dead", "I think that MD will die", and so on. If Sony was really going to abandon HI-MD/MD they would have said so. I think there will be another HI-MD unit and if there isn't then I think they would make a newer MD tech. But, MD has become a standard in Japan so I do not think it is going anywhere, soon. Yes, Harddrive players, and flash players are making big money here and no MD can't compete with them nor is MD trying to compete with them. However, MD can still hold it's own in Japan and is still being sold here because enough people are still buying them, and enough companies still think they can make at least a little profit off of them.

Currently, the following companies still manufacture MD units for Japan:

Sony

Victor

Sharp

Kenwood

Panasonic

Onkyo

Buffalo

Regards,

Mikami

Why else would Sony provide a way to upload legacy MD recordings? Further yet, why would you WANT to upload legacy recordings? What's wrong with PLAYING the discs as they are???

The days of a new format not interfacing with a PC are over. Not to say you can't do that if you want (and in many cases, not relying on a PC simply makes sense) - but the option to upload, edit, share, send away online (etc) must be there; to be a successful format, you must let it interface with common computers with very few restrictions, IMO. Computers are too versatile and useful to be ignored.

Anyway, my vote is ditching SonicStage. Imagine seeing raw audio files on your disc, and for them to be natively playable. I would wet my pants with excitement.

Or then again, I could just go ahead and buy the Cowon U3, and get FLAC and drag-n-drop and 30mW+30mW headphone outputs :)

(but of course, no match in the recording stakes, or removable storage stakes, or removable batteries...)

Edited by tekdroid

I can not tell a lie, I still love the MZ-NH1!

I love the gold Magnesium body, and the minimalist profile, too. It's still my favorite unit. It's so regal and cool. I know it has it'S short comings, but why couldn't have the RH1 been more like the Mz-NH1?

I do not think it's possible, but I would like the 4th generation HI-MD/MD model to have all the advantages of the RH1, but look like and be built like or cooler than the MZ-NH1.

bye bye,

Mikami

I agree I love my MZ-NH1..

I'm still looking for another player,

Just there arn't any budget players avalable besides eBay and I really don't like using eBay... lol

There were just that first gen of budget players and that was it..

I got my NH1 in the sale at Argos.. I coulden't have got it full price!

I still love the Hi-MD format...

All it needs are some cheeper players and A Sterio system and A DECK!!

I would prefer a sterio, but a deck would be good!

Edited by danielbb90

Two independent internal gumsticks with sequential use (same as extra batteries in notebook PCs). And make it so that while the unit gets its power from one of them, the other one can be replaced. And then the first one. This will give unlimited recording and/or playback time!

Forget about AAs and sidecars!

Edited by Avrin

homedeck.

I'm not at all concerned with an internal HDD or optical out; just want a standard-sized home deck to fit in with my other components.

Definitely homedeck.

Or even better a standard hifi component sized docking station (QS style preferred) for a portable MD recorder: put the Recorder on a tray, push a button, the tray slides in and you have line out, optical/coax out and a nice big remote control and big display for controlling the portable while it's being charged. For USB uploading or to change the disc, you can remove the portable.

I would *definitely* buy this and it shouldn't be too expensive to make for Sony...almost no mechanics just a big metal box with some circuitry.